ESA support group and student finance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA support group and student finance

Ennazus
Ennazus Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi I'm new here so I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I need a rough idea of how student finance will affect someone in the ESA support group. 

My husband is disabled and I'm currently his carer. He is in the support group of ESA and receives a small income related element of ESA but the majority of his payment is contribution based. I'm going to do teacher training in September and will receive student finance. I understand it classes as income for means tested benefits such as income related ESA. However as my husband gets both types of ESA, am I right in thinking we would only loose entitlement to the income related part, or would the contribution based also be affected?

Its confusing, as his award letters refer to the amount we receive as an 'income related amount', and its paid in one amount, but when it's broken down its mainly contribution based as we have to declare it for tax credits. It seems like we only get it on the basis of income though, so I'm worried we will loose all of it when I get student finance. Does anyone know how this works? Thanks! 

Comments

• Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    Depending on where you live uk, Ireland etc you should have access to a benifit enquiry line I would ring them or citizens advice to know exactly where you stand. 
  • Ennazus
    I have contacted our local CAB, they said the rules with student finance are beyond them and they wouldn't believe me when I said we got both types of ESA. They basically said all they could do was run a calculator check online (no point as don't include student circumstances) , as it was beyond them and they couldn't help. Have tried calling esa helpline and they just say they can't tell me anything until the change takes place and they process the details. Which doesn't help me decide if returning to study is financially viable. I was just hoping someone here might have had real world experience with it all! 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Are you receiving ESA as a couple?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    Contact these, they will give you all the advice you need. https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/helplines/disabled-students-helpline

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Ennazus
    Yes get esa as a couple, also housing which I know will be almost wiped out by sf, carers which I know I won't be eligible for as a full time student and child tax credit which will be largely unaffected. He also gets pip which won't be affected. Its just the extent it will affect esa that I need to have an idea of.

Hadn't thought of the unis finance department but that's a good idea, thank you. I'll call in the morning ?
  • Ennazus
    Thanks poppy I will call them tomorrow too. Very much appreciate the link ?
  • poppy123456
    Claiming ESA as a couple are you sure part of this is Contributions based? Usually couples claim all Income Related.
  • Ennazus
    Yes, just had his end of year benefit statement, has a taxable and non taxable amount, taxable is much higher as contribution based makes up most of it and income based tops it up. Also had previous statements from them detailing both types, it's caused all kinds of issues in the past with housing and tax credits. We definitely get the couples allowance though. I'm told its because he was on contribution related before being put in support group, when I wasn't on the award. then when he was moved across to support group he became eligible to get contribution based indefinitely so stayed on it. I was added to his award after that point, as I had to stop work to care for him and my son. I couldn't get IS as we were in a UC area so to avoid a move to UC I was added to his ESA award. That took it to more than the contribution based maximum, meaning it gets topped up with income related element too. Complicated situation but definitely claims a couple and definitely get both types!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Ennazus! I hope the advice given will be able to help you with this. I used to want to be a teacher, very exciting! Are you looking at primary school or high school?

Please do let me know if there is anything else we can do to help :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.