Mad Dogs and Englishmen — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mad Dogs and Englishmen

GettinOlde
GettinOlde Community member Posts: 495 Pioneering
edited June 2019 in Coffee lounge
Don't know about the dogs, but I for one can't stand the heat, I blow up like a balloon - almost 26 degrees indoors today.  :'(

Have you ever blown up a pair of Marigolds - that's what my hands and feet look like.

Resident joker - not to be taken too seriously ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comments

• exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    GettinOlde  that's exactly how my feet react to the heat.  Bad enough for humans who usually wear footwear but pet owners should be aware that ground temperatures can be almost double that of air temperatures, resulting in burns and even death to their companion.  Just now my outside air temp is 19c but the surface temp is 35c.  Walk your dog on grass not concrete!

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• GettinOlde
    edited June 2019
    32c air temp on my shaded patio right now - phew.
  • Comein119
    Comein119 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    I see you were knocking around in circa 76 so actually know what a real heatwave is all about .. This is just a pleasant run of the mill balmy day so knock up some salad butties pop a knotted hankie on your head crack open a bottle of Dandelion And Burdock and enjoy the moment..  ..  Marigolds you say ?
  • GettinOlde
    1957 vintage old chap.

'76 - I was signed off for six weeks over the summer period (complicated) - I was more tolerant to the heat then - running around in my Hunter style Hillman Minx. B) (all the unmarked cop cars were Hunters round my way)
  • wheeliegran
    wheeliegran Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    I remember 76 heatwave very wel, I love the heat but not how it makes my feet and hands swell, though being in an electric wheelchair I tend to go barefoot as much as possible, I hate my feet being restricted. Luckily we have good air flow through our bungalow by putting a safety gate on the front door to keep our dogs from going walkabout on their own.
    so true about the floor temperatures for dogs to, my rescue girl doesn't fair well in the heat so loves being indoors in the shade, our other dog tends to stay close to her....how sensible are dogs! 
    Loved the old Hillman Minx cars by the way...can't beat the old makes.
  • Iamgettingthere67
    Iamgettingthere67 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    I remember the 76 heatwave too. I was 10 and have no recollection of all the problems that came with it. The bliss of childhood innocence. I can remember the lawn being virtually dust and endless days of sunshine. I doubt I would cope so well now though.
  • wheeliegran
    @lamgettingthere67
    It was blissfully hot, hosepipe bans, everywhere baked in glorious sunshine. I was 26 and my daughter had a chest infection and very high temperature. The dr thought she was best at home with hourly cool bed baths regardless of the water shortage and medication. The dr was right he was far happier being just three and a half.
    I love the heat, even now but don't enjoy it being more than 22-23 
  • GettinOlde
    edited June 2019
    @lamgettingthere67
    It was blissfully hot, hosepipe bans, everywhere baked in glorious sunshine. I was 26 and my daughter had a chest infection and very high temperature. The dr thought she was best at home with hourly cool bed baths regardless of the water shortage and medication. The dr was right he was far happier being just three and a half.
    I love the heat, even now but don't enjoy it being more than 22-23 
    I suffer hyperhidrosis and my canvas Green Flash Dunlops, that I loved to wear as a teen, would rot within a couple of months. I also develope minute watery blisters on my hands, between my fingers and on the palms that itch like crazy, but this could be a seasonal allergy called Dyshidrotic Eczema.

• wheeliegran
    I remember the green flash Dunlop's well, weren't they the forerunner to trainers becoming varied and popular? My daughter gets similar tiny blisters on her palms and between her fingers to. 
  • GettinOlde
    I remember the green flash Dunlop's well, weren't they the forerunner to trainers becoming varied and popular?
    Yep, them's the ones. you can still get them now. I was so jealous when my mate's parents could afford to buy him a pair of Adidas trainers.

• Comein119
    Comein119 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    edited July 2019
    Back to normality now and a gentle cooling breeze in the air. Threatened to rain twice today and was ready willing and able to crack out a Gene Kelly dance at a the drop of a hat. It never came but certainly more conducive for the Wimbledon and it always always rains at Wimbledon. Everyone I speak to thinks hot weather is the bee all and end all to everything but living with 30 degrees plus like we had on Saturday would be nightmarish. We are lucky in dear old Blighty because we have real weather patterns with seasons and its a lot more easier to get warm than it is to cool down. As a final comment I would sooner be buried up to my neck in desert sand and left to baste at gas mark 5 than be forced to wear them Dunlop green trainers ...  I'll get my coat :|
  • GettinOlde

Comein119 said:
    I'll get my coat :|
    Don't slam the door on your way out.  :D

Brightness