What do you like to do when it is sunny? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What do you like to do when it is sunny?

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
edited July 2019 in Coffee lounge

Finally, the sun has decided to make an appearance!

The sunny weather can be a great chance to get outside, have some fresh air and take part in activities that are harder in colder weather.

Here are some top tips for staying healthy this summer:

• Use suncream daily: Suncream helps prevent skin cancer and has been proven to help slow down your skin's ageing process.

• Hydrate: Water prevents dehydration and replaces minerals that are lost in the summer sun. It is recommended that for every hour in the sun you drink at least one or two glasses.

• Eat breakfast: Eating breakfast starts the day right and lowers the fainting risk when out in the sun.
We also have a post on the importance of sunglasses

What is your favourite summer activity? How do you ensure you stay health? Let us know in the comments below!

Scope

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Although they are few and far between in Scotland, we do get some sunny days here and finally have one today.  :smiley:  When the sun comes out I like to get out in my mobility scooter and have a wee run down by the riverbank near to where we live and just sit for a while and read a book.  I find that really relaxing.  Also some weekends I like to go out in the car with my husband and head to the countryside or beach and take a picnic.  I like to stay healthy in the heat by drinking plenty of juice (not a fan of water, I'm afraid, sorry) and putting plenty of suncream on so the above tips are really good, thanks.  Enjoy the sun!  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    This sounds so lovely @Ails! What book are you reading at the moment? Hope you have had a lovely day!
    Scope

• AlisonNetty
    AlisonNetty Community member Posts: 192 Pioneering
    It's been sunny and warm here in my part of the world. I love sitting outside until I see a spider...erk!
  • Ails
    I'm reading A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness.  It's really good, but I am taking ages to read it as I keep finding other things to do first!  Yes, my day has been not bad, thanks, @Chloe_Scope.  Just did a bit of housework today and sat in the garden for a wee while, but it was starting to get a bit windy so came in.  :neutral:  I hope your day has been good and you are enjoying the sun.  :smile:
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Hide indoors lol ? 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    If it was up to me I’d be the same as you @debbiedo49!
    However, I inevitably succumb to pressure and so it’s lots of picnics, trips to the park and skimming stones by the river for me and the family. Nothing fancy, but I keep telling myself it doesn’t need to be. :D The kids don’t tire of getting outside and it’s something we can do without too much planning or forethought.
    Ideally I’d still be inside with the fan on, a cold glass of something in my hand and a pair of sunglasses on my face to save me from the hay fever.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Sounds like a really interesting book @Ails! I did thank you, we had a BBQ with the family which was lovely :)

@debbiedo49, I can never last long in the sun!! If it's outside it's under a parasol before having to return inside! Like @Adrian_Scope said, a fan and a cold drink is always very tempting!
    Scope

• Ails
    Glad you enjoyed your BBQ @Chloe_Scope:smiley:
  • Chloe_Scope
    It was lovely thank you @Ails :)
    Scope

• jolew
    jolew Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
    @ Chloe-Scope, I like to be out in the sunshine, but as I have MS I mustn’t get hot, therefore sea breezes are best for me! Sitting in the garden is only possible mornings and evenings, however these are the most popular times for birds to come to our feeders and they are a delight to watch.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @jolew, I can understand that one though! That sounds so peaceful though! Makes me want to go out and sit in my garden. :) We have a big bird table, but unfortunately the dogs can sometimes scare them away!
    Scope

• jolew
    edited July 2019
    Hi @Chloe_Scope , We have only put bird feeders out since our cat ? passed away, as he was a good hunter even although he had lost all his teeth! ?
  • Ails
    Hi @jolew, I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your cat.  That is so sad.  :neutral:  I have a cat too and would be so upset if I lost her.  Glad you are enjoying mornings and evenings in the sun in your garden.  
  • jolew
    Thanks @Ails, We are very sad to have lost Whiskey he was a real character. He was 15yrs old and we got him when he was 5 months old, so he was very much part of the family. My husband chose him and Susie, his sister, at the RSPC centre when I was in hospital having my first op. He wanted me to have the company during my recovery. Unfortunately we no longer have Susie either.
    Even although I can’t enjoy the full sun,  it is lovely to have this beautiful weather and to enjoy what I can of it. I hope you are enjoying it too!
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I like to go for short walks.  I’m currently 3 months pregnant so anything too vigorous is not a option. I may go for a swim tomorrow. 
  • GettinOlde
    GettinOlde Community member Posts: 495 Pioneering
    Hide from it behind an 18" desk fan!!! B)
    Resident joker - not to be taken too seriously ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @jolew, cat's are very good at that one... even without teeth!  :D I imagine they were a big part of the family, it's great that you are able to enjoy the bits that you can :)

I wanted to do that yesterday @GettinOldeB)
    Scope

• GettinOlde
    I like to go for short walks.  I’m currently 3 months pregnant so anything too vigorous is not a option. I may go for a swim tomorrow. 
    Wanna take me on a leash? I can only doggy paddle. ?

• Ails
    Hi @jolew, Whiskey and Susie are lovely names for cats.  My cat is a rescue cat too.  Rescue pets are great, aren't they?  Glad you can enjoy the lovely weather when you can.  Yes, when we get the sun here I enjoy sitting out in it too.  :smile:
  • GettinOlde
    There's a small jet black cat with a missing eye oozing puss, I believe it's feral/stray. The RSPCA says it's the estate landlord's job to deal with it, but they won't. Seems I'll need to get in touch with some other local animal rescue centre - even our local Cat's & Dog's home just refer to the RSPCA. ?

Brightness