Government taken to court over SEND support — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Government taken to court over SEND support

Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
What's been your experience with getting SEND support for your child?

I saw on the news this morning that families are taking the government to the High Court over funding for special education needs and disabilities. They argue that the enormous rise in demand for additional support has not been matched by government funding and many children are going without, with families finding it increasingly difficult to get access to the support their children need, and it's not just parents who are complaining.

In the past financial year, eight out of 10 councils in England spent more than their allocated budgets for high needs, a BBC News investigation found.

And school leaders have complained their school budgets are being used to plug gaps in special needs funding.

Source: BBC News

Do you think the current austerity climate has affected SEND support? Have you noticed a decline in the availability or quality of support?
Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I was reading a article on this.
    This is the number one reason we have decided to home school our children. I have more control over the level of homework and what we do for lessons too. No more stress either. There are literally no local special needs schools in our town.
    This is a shame. Other reasons revolve around education standards and quality. After reading reports online I have confidence in my decision. I could write a article on the benefits of home education. 

Brightness