Long waiting time — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Long waiting time

Options
carrienic
carrienic Community member Posts: 5 Listener
I have been waiting 60 weeks now for my PIP appeal. I have had £5 a week after bills to feed me and my 6 year old. I was on high DLA care and low mobility. I am now seriously in debt. The tribunal courts say possibly another 8 weeks wait !!!! My original PIP was zero points due to not taking into account any mental health illness. I am struggling ???

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Unfortunately, Tribunal waiting times in a lot of areas are huge and some are waiting in excess of 1 year for a hearing date. If you're successfully awarded then it can take another 8 weeks to pay backdated money. Hopefully you'll receive a date very soon. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • carrienic
    Options
    Thankyou Poppy !! It’s so much added stress and has made me more ill :(
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @carrienic and welcome to the community. 
    I'm really sorry to read about your situation. Have you had a benefits check up recently? I'm wondering if you're receiving everything you're entitled to as you shouldn't be having to rely on PIP to feed you and your daughter. 
    You mentioned that you're now in debt as a result, have you been in touch with StepChange at all? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • carrienic
    Options
    I have help but I need pip to survive !! As my disability isn’t physical. Yep after paying rent and bills and debts back due to DLA being stopped to go into pip it leaves me £5 a week !! I got Esa but now they are making me wait 5 weeks as been swooped to universal credit now !!! It just gets worse !! They stopped child tax credit too !!!!! Not sure why they try drive people over the edge this way :(
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    carrienic said:
    I have help but I need pip to survive !! As my disability isn’t physical. Yep after paying rent and bills and debts back due to DLA being stopped to go into pip it leaves me £5 a week !! I got Esa but now they are making me wait 5 weeks as been swooped to universal credit now !!! It just gets worse !! They stopped child tax credit too !!!!! Not sure why they try drive people over the edge this way :(
    Hi,

The reason they stopped your tax credits is because you claimed universal credit. The tax credits will now be paid as child element of Universal credit, which will be paid monthly as one payment.

If you're still waiting for your first payment of UC then you can ask for an advance payment. This does need to be repaid back from your future payments so do be aware of that.

May i ask what was the reason why you had to claim Universal credit?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • carrienic
    Options
    Because I moved house. They said I can claim an advance from 2nd August !! So for four weeks I have nothing ??
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @carrienic. The advance is only usually available until the end of your first assessment period, by the 2nd August I imagine it'll be too late. 
    Have you had your initial ID interview with Universal Credit yet? If so, there should be an option on your online account to apply for an advance. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • carrienic
    Options
    Thankyou will enquire 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.