What games did you play as a child? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What games did you play as a child?

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
edited July 2019 in Coffee lounge

For National Simplicity Day we thought it would be best to cast our minds back to childhood. To the beloved games that would keep you entertained for hours…

• Card games: Uno, Go Fish or Snap
  • Board games: Frustration, Monopoly or Scrabble
  • Outside game: Cat’s Cradle, Hopscotch or Tig

I used to spend hours doing cat’s cradle with my sister, even if you always got to the same point. Does anyone actually know how you’re supposed to end the game?

What games were your favourite to play? Let us know in the comments!

Scope

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Can't go wrong with the Game of Life.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    I've never actually played this @Adrian_Scope :D
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    For board games I really enjoyed ones with a interactive VHS element.

As a massive trekkie, there was a Star Trek: Next Generation game I played, as well as a horror game called Atmosfear which was always fun for sleepovers.

Other than that, I was very much a gamer - Master System, Mega Drive, then Playstation, Nintendo 64 and PC games.  

Oh, I remember the VHS games. In fact, I'm pretty sure I played the Star Trek one. I remember being asked my name by the angry looking gentleman on the TV and being told it was stupid. Cheers Mr Klingon!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I loved Cluedo. I also played Monopoly and Scrabble too. Another childhood favorite was snakes and ladders. 
  • Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    Snakes and ladders was one of my favourite games. 
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Outside we used to spend hours with peg guns, then get into a lot of trouble come laundry day :smiley:
    Another favourite for two was throwing a football across the road to hit the corner of the kerb, if it came back and you caught it you got a point.

Board games, my favourite was chess. Played the usual other board games, but cards were played more often than not.

Rummy, gin rummy, whist, though cribbage was my favourite.

Other games included yahtzee, dominoes, jacks and mahjong (the game not the patience variation) though haven't played this for many years. Oh and almost forgot Mechano.

One thing which did not figure much in my childhood was video games as they were not really around at that time as an entertainment. I can remember a console with a few games, but as I recall they were variations of pong and I found them incredibly boring. 

If you are in London and would like a trip down memory lane I would recommend a visit to the Victoria and Albert Museum of Childhood in Bethnal Green. https://www.vam.ac.uk/moc/ my daughter used to love visiting here when she was younger. If you have younger children they usually have different events on during the summer and are usually free.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Card games - Snap, Rummy, Blackjack

Board games - Monopoly, Snakes & Ladders, Checkers/Draughts

Outside - Hopscoth, What's The Time Mr Wolf, Skipping Rope,, Tag

Games console - Nintendo 64, Mega Drive, Tamagotchi
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • emmarenshaw
    emmarenshaw Community member Posts: 710 Pioneering
    Hungry, Hungry Hippos, Lights Out, Connect Four, Monopoly. 
  • Peteofpeth
    Peteofpeth Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Mainly board games inside along with imaginative TV roll games inside.  Hide and seek, tag, king go ,kerb-se  and I'm sure numerus more outdoor games. The streets and parks always had a number of kids playing vairouse games.

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Tennis ball in a pair of tight whacked against a wall
    Rounders
    Tiddlywinks
    Dominoes
    With brothers action men
    Space hopper
    Carlibar Carlibar whose got the ball
    Play dough 
    Tiny Tears
    Monopoly
    Snap
  • Chloe_Scope
    So many great games! @Ami2301, I had a Tamagotchi but I wasn't allowed to take it to my dads. My mum was in charge of it and unfortunately it was not alive when I came back  :'(  :D  
    Scope

• Chloe_Scope
    Haha @Lucas_Scope... it has made me want to find mine....
    Scope

• debbiedo49
    My son had these little wooden cubes like tv s with little stick men in them that you could put together and they interacted but I can’t remember the name reminded me of tamigotchi
  • debbiedo49
    The best fun was had with big empty boxes ? 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    @Chloe_Scope I never had one myself but I just keep using my sisters when they weren't using them ?

@debbiedo49 I remember them but I can't remember the name either ??‍♀️
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • ebeneee
    ebeneee Community member Posts: 87 Pioneering
    @ Chloe_scope.................. as a child i remember playing with my sisters operation ker plunk............@ the moment i feel like im playing a game with the DWP...........P.I.P  "Hide and seek"
  • Chloe_Scope
    Oh @debbiedo49 I know what you mean!!! Was it cube world?

@ebeneee, another great game! Although I don't think PIP will be rated a great game... I hope you are doing okay as I understand how stressful it can be!
    Scope

• humble_rumble
    humble_rumble Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
    I used to play Lego as a child with my brother, used to spend hours on it.
    then when I got a bit older, me and my brother got a sega games console, many lovely and frustrating video games for a 6 year old :) 

We used to sneak up to play football with other kids in the neighborhood. my mom was always worried about us if we are tiny bit late so she didn't like that one bit, we laugh about it so much now. 
  • M_Anthony
    M_Anthony Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 309 Pioneering
    I used to like Mouse Trap, it was cool how the trap worked! I had Monopoly, and a Star Wars themed version as well. Other than that I loved darts and Jenga.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    hopscotch
    jacks
    cutting up old catalogues and making clothes for Bunty

Brightness