ESA Support Group to Universal Credit? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA Support Group to Universal Credit?

Trev121
Trev121 Community member Posts: 32 Listener
Can anyone offer advice, please?

I was put into ESA support group earlier this year - although I am not on PIP. I am considering moving to an area which has a different local authority, where I gather Universal Credit is now being claimed. I gather that by doing so, I will have to make a fresh claim for Housing Benefit, so I will then have to claim Universal Credit instead of ESA. 

My query is, does that mean I will then get less money weekly/monthly by being put onto the UC equivalent of the support group?

regards

Comments

• janice_in_wonderland
    janice_in_wonderland Community member Posts: 265 Pioneering
    I wish I could help answer this question as I’m in a similar position myself - sorry n hope others are more informative 

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    edited July 2019
    Hi @Trev121. That’s correct, as it’s a new council authority you’d need to make a fresh claim for housing benefit which would fall under Universal Credit.

The amounts you get won’t be protected as you’re moving before being migrated. 

To be able to say the amounts you’ll receive on Universal Credit we’d need to know a little more about you (whether you live alone or with a partner, whether you have dependant children living with you, if you’re over or under 25 etc) which may not be possible online.

The basic rate of ESA and LCWRA are very similar but it depends on your circumstances. 

Community Manager
    Scope
  • Trev121
    Trev121 Community member Posts: 32 Listener
    Thanks, guys, for your advice.
    regards
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Trev121 said:
    Thanks, guys, for your advice.
    regards
    Hi,

If you want advice then you need to answer Adrian's questions above because at the moment you haven't been given any advice.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.