ESA Support Group to Universal Credit? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

ESA Support Group to Universal Credit?

Can anyone offer advice, please?

I was put into ESA support group earlier this year - although I am not on PIP. I am considering moving to an area which has a different local authority, where I gather Universal Credit is now being claimed. I gather that by doing so, I will have to make a fresh claim for Housing Benefit, so I will then have to claim Universal Credit instead of ESA. 

My query is, does that mean I will then get less money weekly/monthly by being put onto the UC equivalent of the support group?



  • janice_in_wonderland
    janice_in_wonderland Member Posts: 265 Pioneering
    I wish I could help answer this question as I’m in a similar position myself - sorry n hope others are more informative 

  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,552

    Scope community team

    edited July 2019
    Hi @Trev121. That’s correct, as it’s a new council authority you’d need to make a fresh claim for housing benefit which would fall under Universal Credit.

    The amounts you get won’t be protected as you’re moving before being migrated. 

    To be able to say the amounts you’ll receive on Universal Credit we’d need to know a little more about you (whether you live alone or with a partner, whether you have dependant children living with you, if you’re over or under 25 etc) which may not be possible online.

    The basic rate of ESA and LCWRA are very similar but it depends on your circumstances. 

    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.
  • Trev121
    Trev121 Member Posts: 32 Listener
    Thanks, guys, for your advice.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,356 Disability Gamechanger
    Trev121 said:
    Thanks, guys, for your advice.

    If you want advice then you need to answer Adrian's questions above because at the moment you haven't been given any advice.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.