Support to manage my sons meltdowns and his demanding behaviour — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Support to manage my sons meltdowns and his demanding behaviour

Options
Gemma82
Gemma82 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2019 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi I've joined scope looking for some support with my 8 yr old boy he was diagnosed with Asd the 31 May this year. He can be very demanding also is very self centred everything is black and white there are no grey areas. We need support in how to manage his melt downs and his demanding behaviour. 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Gemma82 and a warm welcome to the community!

I imagine this can be very tricky to manage at times, do you have any support regarding this at the moment? Here is a link to the National Autistic Society which might help.

I hope the community is able to provide guidance on this and please do let me know if there is anything else we can do to help :)
    Scope

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Gemma82 and welcome to the community.  Wishing you and your family all the best.  Please let us know if we can be of any further help to you.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Beverley_Scope
    Beverley_Scope Scope Posts: 84 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Gemma82  

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling with your son's demanding behaviour.
    As you say, it is very often black and white and difficult to manage.

Have you spoken to his school?  They may already have an Individual Behaviour Plan/Reactive Plan in place which details the triggers of an episode, how to distract as soon as they begin to appear and what to do if the melt down occurs.
    Ideally you should already know if they have one as you should have been asked for your input, but this is not always the case.

It can also be helpful to monitor the episodes using an ABC chart (Antecedent - what happened immediately prior to the episode including time of day, what was said, what he was doing, Behaviour - what the behaviour was, Consequence - what happened following the episode, such as how long it took to calm down, what he did and so on).  

By doing this you can sometimes (and I mean sometimes as some episodes do seem to occur out of the blue) see a pattern such as hunger, tiredness, the type of language used and such like.

I have attached a chart for you to see in case you want to try it.  It also has some examples.  Also please contact the National Autistic Society as @Chloe_Scope said.  They have a lot of information on managing behaviour.

I hope some of this helps.

Beverley

Beverley Davies
    Parent Advisor
    Navigate
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Gemma82. Just wondering how you're getting on? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    How are you doing today?

Brightness