Autism and Aspergers
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Support to manage my sons meltdowns and his demanding behaviour

Gemma82Gemma82 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2019 in Autism and Aspergers
Hi I've joined scope looking for some support with my 8 yr old boy he was diagnosed with Asd the 31 May this year. He can be very demanding also is very self centred everything is black and white there are no grey areas. We need support in how to manage his melt downs and his demanding behaviour. 

Replies

• Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Gemma82 and a warm welcome to the community!

I imagine this can be very tricky to manage at times, do you have any support regarding this at the moment? Here is a link to the National Autistic Society which might help.

I hope the community is able to provide guidance on this and please do let me know if there is anything else we can do to help :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
  • AilsAils Member Posts: 2,268 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Gemma82 and welcome to the community.  Wishing you and your family all the best.  Please let us know if we can be of any further help to you.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Beverley_ScopeBeverley_Scope Scope Navigate service Posts: 84 Pioneering
    Hi @Gemma82  

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling with your son's demanding behaviour.
    As you say, it is very often black and white and difficult to manage.

Have you spoken to his school?  They may already have an Individual Behaviour Plan/Reactive Plan in place which details the triggers of an episode, how to distract as soon as they begin to appear and what to do if the melt down occurs.
    Ideally you should already know if they have one as you should have been asked for your input, but this is not always the case.

It can also be helpful to monitor the episodes using an ABC chart (Antecedent - what happened immediately prior to the episode including time of day, what was said, what he was doing, Behaviour - what the behaviour was, Consequence - what happened following the episode, such as how long it took to calm down, what he did and so on).  

By doing this you can sometimes (and I mean sometimes as some episodes do seem to occur out of the blue) see a pattern such as hunger, tiredness, the type of language used and such like.

I have attached a chart for you to see in case you want to try it.  It also has some examples.  Also please contact the National Autistic Society as @Chloe_Scope said.  They have a lot of information on managing behaviour.

I hope some of this helps.

Beverley

Beverley Davies
    Parent Advisor
    Navigate
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,954

Scope community team

Hello @Gemma82. Just wondering how you're getting on? 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
  • April2018momApril2018mom Posts: 2,869 Member
    How are you doing today?
Sign in or join us to comment.