PIP claim Supplementary Report — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP claim Supplementary Report

suzy_sugar2005
suzy_sugar2005 Community member Posts: 61 Courageous
edited July 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello everyone

My journey started on the 16th April when I rang to apply for PIP. I had my assessment on the 18th June. I was not happy with my assessment as it was rushed and the assessor did not allow me to get my say across. I called and noted my complaints immediately after the assessment ended. I spoke to a guy on the phone who recommended I wrote a letter to the CM to state my concerns. As soon as i got the text saying they had recieved the report, I called and requested a copy of it. Took about 3 days to come. I recieved it and read through it with utter shock. 0 points!! She totally dismissed me and showed no regard to how my illness affects me. Partly this may of been my fault for not knowing how to use the correct terminology when describing how my day to day life is affected. So at this point I started to research how to best get across how my illness affects me. And its then that I realised I do think I am genuinely entitled to it. My worry was I was maybe doing something wrong by applying. I basically then was able to state in medical terms how it does affect me. So in I went my letter to the CM. Yesterday I learnt that my application is currently being worked on by the CM and a QAM. Also that they recieved a supplementary report back from AP that morning. I requested a copy of the report and it was posted out to me yesterday morning.

So that's where I am at and I'm just wondering if it's a good or bad thing that they have requested that from the AP. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

There's no right or wrong terminology to use when applying for any benefits. Alot of people think that they need help to fill out the form because of this reason.

All you need to do is fully explain how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors and add a few real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

No one can really tell you whether it's a good or bad thing at this point. All you can do is wait to receive a copy of the report and take it from there. Once a decision is made if you're not happy then you have 1 month from that date to request the MR followed by Tribunal if that fails. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • suzy_sugar2005
    Thank you poppy mine is very complex so it was very hard for me to get my point across. So in my instance I think it's the right way to go about it but yes I agree that it shouldn't be needed. Apologies if I offended anyone. I'm just curious because the only things I have read about a supplementary report is when they take away points. Me not having any I'm taking it as good news
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @suzy_sugar2005 I agree with poppy...I don't think it's a case of correct terminology but it is a good idea to have a look at the descriptors and guidance...

For example "Preparing food" is about making a meal for one from fresh. Includes chopping and open packaging, but doesn't include carrying nor using the oven.

If you can't do it explain why, and how you cope maybe by using aids or getting someone to help...

As far as i know you don't need fancy language so "I cannot peel potatoes because my condition means that I cannot grip the vegetables firmly enough in order to be able to use a peeler. I have to use (something) to grip the veg to allow me to peel or chop them.This allows me to chop most vegetables except small/big ones and (how you deal with them) "

If you don't have some knowledge of what is needed then it's like being in an exam and not reading the question - you'll be talking about things like carrying (which score nothing) when you should be talking about peeling/chopping/using the hob (which score points)
  • suzy_sugar2005
    Yes agreed but they are all physical things. I dont have physical problems. So how would you describe the effects of that 
  • cristobal
    edited July 2019
    @suzy_sugar2005 ...I'm sorry I don't know for certain but I think I'd still use the same format. I don't see any difference because someone suffers from an illness that isn't visible - you still need to describe the impact that it has on you and you are the expert on that...

If I had mental health issues, for example, I'd explain that I couldn't use a hob because my cognitive functions were such that I let pans boil dry, or I couldn't follow a recipe. Or that I had experienced trauma which made it difficult to go out?

• poppy123456
    It doesn't matter that you don't have a physical condition, it's still not about using the correct terminology. You just need to explain how you're affected.

Preparing food, my daughter doesn't have a physical condition either and i just explained what happens why she doesn't have assistance. Why she's not safe using a knife or a hob and what happened the last time she did both without assistance.

I totally agree that having some knowledge does help.

Do let us know when you receive the report and if you have any further questions i'm sure someone will help.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • suzy_sugar2005
    Ok so I used the wrong wording then when I said terminology. I just meant for example with my mental health illness, originally when they asked me how it affected me I put, I dont feel like doing anything. Whereas after researching I explained better by stating when I am suffering from a decompensation I simply dont do anything at all. 

• suzy_sugar2005
    But if anyone has ever come across a supplimentary report do they know if the report is PA6 or PA5 there is also an advice note is the the PA5. This is the confusing bit to me 
  • poppy123456
  • poppy123456
    Forgot to add that it will be the PA6 that you'll receive.
  • poppy123456
  • suzy_sugar2005
    edited July 2019
    Thank you poppy some very useful links there. I have read them over the weeks of my application. So if it is a PA6 am I right in thinking they have changed the report from the original assessment report. 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. Yes, that's correct.
  • suzy_sugar2005
    So given the fact I got 0 points on the 1st report does this suggest a positive change do you think 
  • poppy123456
    Unfortunately it doesn't mean anything because the HCP could think the same as the first one.
  • suzy_sugar2005
    Ok that's what I thought. Its not positive nor negative. I will find out soon enough anyway :0)
  • Fetlock
    Fetlock Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    It sounds like the CM who requested further advice (which was provided on the supplementary report) still didn't feel confident about making a decision and so subsequently has gone to a QAM for clarification/advice.

• suzy_sugar2005
    I feel like if I never sent the letter it would of been a straight no. The supplimentary report, will it be a whole new report by a different assessor 
  • Fetlock
    Fetlock Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    edited July 2019
    Yes, a different assessor looks at it, with more time to go through everything.
    They'll just address in the report what the CM has asked them to however ie a CM may ask an assessor to look at certain activities, rather than all so it is those that advice will be provided about in the supplementary report.
  • cristobal
    edited July 2019
    @suzy_sugar2005 - my additional report may be something different as it's PA3 v2 (whatever that is) but based on the same assessment my points increased from  9DL & 4MOB to 19DL & 22MOB. So they can change when someone takes a fresh eye to it....

As others have very wisely advised though best not to try and second guess - but wait for the decision.

Good luck, anyway....

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.