Insurance on motability - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Insurance on motability

Comments

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @Government_needs_reform

The car is not being used for business purposes, it’s being used for transport to his workplace.

As would be the case if I used my car to and from a place of employment.

We will find out shortly after @bobscat has made her call to Motability.
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    @atlas46 fair point... But will be interesting what bobscat answer is once they get a reply from Motability.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• babscat
    babscat Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
    @atlas46 @Government_needs_reform I’ll call tomorrow and let you know what they say. I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed. 
    Good luck, as this will be interesting what they say @bobscat while your on the phone try and ask how much they would sell the car to you for.
    ⬇️
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    @Government_needs_reform i don't believe that the car they have at the moment is from motability, it's a separate lease agreement.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
    @Government_needs_reform i don't believe that the car they have at the moment is from motability, it's a separate lease agreement.

@poppy123456 just re, read bobscats post above, and god hell your right "Again" ? I'm gonna keep of my pills methinks?

Perhaps poppy in that case they could ask the leasing company if they will sell it at a good price..
    ⬇️

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    @Government_needs_reform hmm that's worth thinking about ;) seriously though, no worries i misread things all the time and get names wrong...... :p

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
    @poppy123456 like it, that's why I'm not on here very much as you know, to many darn pills. As for getting Names wrong? as always my friend, you wanna worry if I called you a fish called Wanda.

Keep well. ❤️

⬇️

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello all, the use of mobility cars is a grey area,  
    1, using the car to go shopping benefits the claimant by providing their food.
    2, Going out with out the claimant, is, to play darts bowels ect, benefits the claimant as he or she is happy knowing you are having a break from caring if only for a few hours.
    3,using for trips out, as intended

where do we draw the line I know of people who do all of the above with their partners mobility cars .
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    wilko said:
    Hello all, the use of mobility cars is a grey area,  
    1, using the car to go shopping benefits the claimant by providing their food.
    2, Going out with out the claimant, is, to play darts bowels ect, benefits the claimant as he or she is happy knowing you are having a break from caring if only for a few hours.
    3,using for trips out, as intended

where do we draw the line I know of people who do all of the above with their partners mobility cars .
    Thank you. I’ll keep this in mind
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,822 Scope online community team
    Hello @babscat, it does seem like a bit of a grey area and I've been unable to find any specific guidance about it online. I would imagine there is a big difference between him using it for journeys to and from work as opposed to using it for business purposes, but I wouldn't like to say for sure. Please let us know what they say when you call today. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • babscat
    @Adrian_Scope thank you. I think that’s the problem - that it is such a grey area. My husband is my carer and as such is limited on what he can earn. Due to the nature of my illness he has to be able to work flexible hours and he has been able to fit one or two photo shoots in a month. It has been perfect for us. I’ll be calling motability later today to see what they say. 
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering

Hi @babscat,    The car has to be used by, or for the benefit of, the disabled person.

This does not mean that the disabled person needs to be in the car for every journey.

In practice, this means other named drivers  can use the car for shopping and other routine activities, as long as the disabled customer will benefit.  

The fact that your husband is using the car to provide income is surely a benefit to you.

Only drivers approved by RSA's standard insurance underwriting criteria and listed on your Certificate of Motor Insurance can drive the car.

Obviously if the disabled person is not present in the car then there is no valid Blue Badge entitlement, but in all cases the disabled person must benefit from its use.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• babscat
    Hi everyone that posted answers.

Thank you all so much.

I rang today and explained the situation, how few hours/miles my husband works per average month, and the benefit of that work to our finances and therefore to my well being. They have agreed that the car can be insured for his photo work!!
    Phew .... I’d been so worried. 

Very happy now ?

babscat said:
    Hi everyone that posted answers.

Thank you all so much.

I rang today and explained the situation, how few hours/miles my husband works per average month, and the benefit of that work to our finances and therefore to my well being. They have agreed that the car can be insured for his photo work!!
    Phew .... I’d been so worried. 

Very happy now ?

There you go @bobscat ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Glad to help.  BUT a big BUT?

One thing if I was you, is if you can is get it in writing, just me, I trust no one.
    ⬇️

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @Government_needs_reform

You are really are an old cynic (I am worse than you, when it comes to DWP).

This is good news, that Motability has confirmed the “causation link” to our dear friend @babscat has now been informed, her dear husband can maintain his modest employment, on her behalf.

I am sure that @babscat will be able to retrieve this thread, should the need arrive, following her phone call to Motability.

It is an important decision that shows “guidelines” are not rules of law, into the use of a Motability car.

I remain at all times, a cynic of DWP, despite the best efforts of my dear friend @Government_needs_reform, who might try to persuade me otherwise!!
    @atlas46 No buddy, trust me I'm totally panic manic, I'm not trusting anyone,
    the reason I'm like it is not official if it's isn't unless I have it in writing?

Even anything talked about over the phone has even to be confirmed in writing.

The DWP are a classic example I have all dealings with them in writing.

I remain a cynic to anything, I now know @atlas46 means it as I have it in writing?????
    ⬇️

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,822 Scope online community team
    edited July 2019
    That’s great news @babscat, I’m so glad they were able to confirm it for you, it’s must be a relief! Best of luck to your husband for any upcoming photo shoots.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • babscat
    @Government_needs_reform
    I totally get what you mean..... I have the name of the person I spoke to and the name of the underwriter too!
    The person I spoke to was very helpful and extremely thorough too, so I have full confidence in their advise and, excitedly, will be looking at cars now!! 
  • babscat
    @atlas46 If I could, lol, I’d be dancing! The causation link was, I felt, quite important. I explained my situation so they could understand the importance of the additional income. It was so nice to talk to someone who showed empathy and common sense.
    massive relief .... now the fun of choosing our next car!!

Brightness