ESA Support Group - Reassessment - only awarded for 4 months! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA Support Group - Reassessment - only awarded for 4 months!

Bobbybiscuit
Bobbybiscuit Community member Posts: 8 Listener
My wife (aged 64, 65 in October) has been in receipt of ESA  since 2011 (based her on NI contributions). She becomes a pensioner in Oct 2020. ESA at standard rate was granted for temporary period and following reviews and a successful appeal at Tribunal against a decision to withdraw it was restarted. Subsequently in 2013 I think wife went for a medical and she was put in the Support Group. She has chronic lower back pain (osteo arthritis - fusion of lower back) and extremely tender what appears muscular pain either side of the spine. has to take warfarin permanently because of blood clots in the lungs in 2010. Has a irregular heart beat following that. Been to panic clinic and trialled a new drug  for 12 months which made no difference. She is in pain 24 hours a day. Applies patches every 3 days and numerous amounts of other medication to help with pain and heart condition.  

I am my wife's carer and i took my  wife to an ESA reassessment recently. The 6 mile trip to their just really aggravated the back pain as it always does when we go out.  The practitioner could see how much pain was in and carried out the review without examining her. My wife broke down in tears with relief because touching her back would have made the situation worse for many days to come despite medication. 

Today, my wife got a letter saying she was to remain in the support group but only until late November this year. As always these letters arrive at weekends when you cant get hold of them. 

I am 67 and my wife's carer. I work part time at get home about 10.30am in the morning. My wife is in receipt of DLA  and has been since about 2013. Medium care full mobility. 

Can anyone explain to me why the ESA  only continues until November 2019 as no explanation has been given in the letter. There is no likelihood of my wife returning to work ever. 

Thank you for reading this.   

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, contact DWP Monday and ask what’s going on, I would have thought they would have granted it till her pension claiming date. Then ESA stops and your wife claims her pension state and private if available.
  • Bobbybiscuit
    Thats what i thought...But I thought I was missing something...they cant force her to claim Universal credit then can they? 
  • Bobbybiscuit
    Excuse the posting of this subject several times as an error message was received that I had been timed out so did not expect to find anything on here. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    That's very strange that the decision letter mentions a timescale because usually they don't. Are you sure she's definitely remained in the support group (limited capability for work related activity) LCWRA and not WRAG? If it's WRAG then it could explain why it's only until November because Contributions based ESA is only paid for 1 year unless in the Support Group.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    Are you also sure it's a decision letter and not a letter about the Christmas bonus that is paid anytime from end of November? Those letters very often worry people when they think their ESA just stops on this date.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Bobbybiscuit
    In summary it says from 10/07/2019 esa will be £11.65 pw because a decision on your capability for work. You have been placed in the support group. You meet the elegibility criteria for Support group - thats all on page 1. page 5 Living expenses £73.10 plus Extra money for being in support group £38.55 total £11.65. These amounts apply from 10.7.2019 to 26/11/2019. That seems to indicate an end date to me? Is that not the case? 

• poppy123456
    Ah yes, this will be because of the Xmas bonus that is paid each year. Everyone gets confused with this. ESA has no end date unless you're claiming Contributions based in the WRAG. Her money will continue for as long as she's entitled to it until she reaches state pension age and then it stops.

They can re-assess you anytime from 3 months so do be aware of that.
  • Bobbybiscuit
    Terrific as I dont really want my wife to go through that again. bad enough last time. even though they did not touch her. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Bobbybiscuit, I'm really glad this turned out to be nothing to worry about, that must be a huge relief!
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.