Hot tips on staying cool and safe in warm weather - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hot tips on staying cool and safe in warm weather

2»

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Trekster, something like this from Boots might be of interest!
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    @Trekster, I picked up a few from cheap shops like Poundland. Can be useful but do tend to create a mess if you put your full weight on them.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi guys, how is everyone getting on today? It certainly is a warm one!
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
     :s 
    It certainly is.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I stock up on water bottles. Whenever I am at a shop I buy one. 
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Windows open, blinds closed , fan going all day and night. I’m in sunny Scotland and I’m thankful all you lovely people across the border are getting it worse than us ?
  • Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    I'd say the two important things I can think of of would be to stay hydrated,. Make sure you drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration. If you are going to be in direct sunlight,  for long periods of time make sure you apply sun cream and protect your eyes. If you take any strong medication make sure you  take your time in what you are doing to avoid passing out or any nasty accidents. Stay safe and enjoy the sunshine ladies and gentlemen ?
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Something to be aware off during the hot weather is heat stroke. 

Preventing Heat Stroke

When the heat index is high, it's best to stay in an air-conditioned environment. If you must go outdoors, you can prevent heat stroke by taking these steps:

• Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing, and a wide-brimmed hat.
    • Use a sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or more.
    • Drink extra fluids. To prevent dehydration, it's generally recommended to drink at least eight glasses of water, fruit juice, or vegetable juice per day. Because heat-related illness also can result from salt depletion, it may be advisable to substitute an electrolyte-rich sports drink for water during periods of extreme heat and humidity.
    • Take additional precautions when exercising or working outdoors. The general recommendation is to drink 24 ounces of fluid two hours before exercise, and consider adding another 8 ounces of water or sports drink right before exercise. During exercise, you should consume another 8 ounces of water every 20 minutes, even if you don't feel thirsty.
    • Reschedule or cancel outdoor activity. If possible, shift your time outdoors to the coolest times of the day, either early morning or after sunset.
    Sounds silly but also take a thermometer with you when out, especially if you expect to be out for a couple of hours or more. Heat stroke is caused by the heating of the core body heat, knowing your temperature, especially if suffering from the effects of heat stroke can help you to quickly identify if you or someone else has heat stroke.

Heat stroke results from prolonged exposure to high temperatures -- usually in combination with dehydration -- which leads to failure of the body's temperature control system. The medical definition of heat stroke is a core body temperature greater than 104 degrees Fahrenheit, with complications involving the central nervous system that occur after exposure to high temperatures. Other common symptoms include nauseaseizures, confusion, disorientation, and sometimes loss of consciousness or coma.

Other symptoms may include:

First Aid for Heat Stroke

If you suspect that someone has a heat stroke, immediately call 999 or transport the person to a hospital. Any delay seeking medical help can be fatal.

While waiting for the paramedics to arrive, initiate first aid. Move the person to an air-conditioned environment -- or at least a cool, shady area -- and remove any unnecessary clothing.

If possible, take the person's core body temperature and initiate first aid to cool it to 101 to 102 degrees Fahrenheit. (If no thermometers are available, don't hesitate to initiate first aid.)

Try these cooling strategies:

• Fan air over the patient while wetting his or her skin with water from a sponge or garden hose.
    • Apply ice packs to the patient's armpits, groin, neck, and back. Because these areas are rich with blood vessels close to the skin, cooling them may reduce body temperature.
    • Immerse the patient in a shower or tub of cool water.
    • If the person is young and heathy and suffered heat stroke while exercising vigorously -- what’s known as exertional heat stroke -- you can use an ice bath to help cool the body.

Do not use ice for older patients, young children, patients with chronic illness, or anyone whose heat stroke occurred without vigorous exercise. Doing so can be dangerous.

Something else to be aware of is that during hot weather night time temperatures can still be high and this can make it uncomfortable to sleep. If possible, and safe open windows in the evening on two sides of your home to create a flow of air through your home. This can help to bring the temperature down. Close curtains or blinds on windows when there is direct sunlight on them.

In the evening if you find the temperature in your home is higher than outside consider sitting outside with a cold drink (preferably not alcohol) We are fortunate to have a balcony and during these hot days will sit on the balcony watching tv through my tablet with headphones so not to disturb neighbours.

Finally consider being a good neighbour, if you know a neighbour who is housebound, vulnerable or could be suffering  ask if there is anything you can do to help. This could be just checking on them or doing a little shopping for them. Or at least be aware of your neighbours, I have lost count how often someone has been saved on our estate because someone has spoken out when someone's routine has suddenly stopped, windows closed during hot weather, or just a general concern about someone.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Chloe_Scope
    Thank you everyone for your great tips! I hope you all manage to stay cool today!
    Scope

• Chloe_Scope
    It certain is today @Lucas_Scope!
    Scope

• April2018mom
    We went to Brighton Pier today and we sat in the shade. It was soo hot surprised no one wanted to have a splashing contest in the sea. Or visit the beach. We had a lovely picnic on the pier however and I ate a scrumptious ice cream afterwards. There were lots of pubs and hot food stalls but we decided it was a day for cold drinks and cold food. 
  • April2018mom

Brightness