At school for just a single lesson a day - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

At school for just a single lesson a day

2»

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    The article you have written for Able Magazine is so inspirational and a great read so thanks for sharing it, @hdeakin. Your determination is fantastic and I wish you all the best for the future in gaining some work.  Thank you for your kind comments.  I studied English with Education at uni in the hope of becoming a secondary school teacher and gained some great experience in schools, but found out it wasn't really for me; but am glad that I got my degree anyway.  I'm not working at the moment unfortunately, due to my health, but my last job was working in an after-school care club which I loved!  I'm hoping to work with children again in the future as I do miss it.  I'm volunteering here on Scope as one of the Community Champions which I really enjoy so I would recommend that to anyone.  I will have a look at your blog as it sounds really interesting.  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    An amazing young lady ...well done , I take my hat off to you . 
    Alas , it's not always been the case that education resources were helpful for disabled people . Over 50 years ago , I got knocked down by a bus and the bus stopped on top of me , mashing my leg up , breaking my pelvis , ribs and a fractured skull . I was off school for a year and learning to walk again was hard enough  without the added pressure from studying and exams. ( although there was no such thing as hospital schooling ) I thought to myself that I had only missed a year and I would catch up with my studies. When i got back to my third year in high school , I had missed very important lessons in second year , it was as though the teachers were speaking in a foreign language and I had not got a clue what they were talking about ...instead of saying something , I managed to bluff my way through the rest of high school .
    I was never really academic ( like yourself) but when I started work as an apprentice mechanical engineer I went to college and I found it hard to concentrate  but I managed to get my City and Guilds in mechanical engineering .
    I am so inspired by your story ...what an amazing young lady . I,m sure you will help others who are in your situation ...well done .
    If only things had been different 50 years ago . Good luck for your future career,  I,m sure you will do well .
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    hdeakin said:
    Thank you @April2018mom ? Well done on completing a distance learning course recently. What was the course in? What are you hoping to get a job in? Good luck ?with the job hunting too! 
    Adult Social Care. I haven’t decided yet. 
  • northwestmum2
    northwestmum2 Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    My youngest son,now 16,had various medical conditions and some(a few) had been undiagnosed most of his life- he struggled through year 7 at mainstream high school with a great deal of help from 'intervention officer' at school who,though well meaning& sympathetic,was getting out of his depth- year 8,he spent most of it in the winter months not well enough to attend,their answer was to send him to school on the hospital ward as a day pupil as well(!) for a few weeks- then when he was ill again they wanted to get rid of him altogether to a 'special medical school' which in reality was where they sent all the thugs and drop outs- not medical case kids at all- i refused- eventually it was too much for him and he was getting depressed over it all,intervention guy intervened& set up some caf or taf meetings- but not a lot of what was proposed actually ever got done! We just blundered on from year to year with him having a lot of time off,but he wanted to learn, and this has set him back.It was then discovered about 18mths ago,that on top of his other various medical problems he has cerebral palsy,like his brother- so then they rushed to get him a word processor( which he didnt want) and a scribe( which he did) but all too little too late as they could have done so much more for him early on! Now he has to wait & see how he's fared in GCSE's that he was ill- prepared for.The overall impression i got was that they simply thought he was lazy all those years! My other son also got little help (none really)not even a scribe, so did not do very well at all in GCSE's despite them knowing he had CP all along(same school)He is still chasing english GCSE  at college 4yrs after leaving school though he did attain maths after 2 yrs there.Why cant they do more to help disabled children in mainstream schools? It would help make such a difference both to their experience there and to their learning ability.
  • hdeakin
    hdeakin Scope Member Posts: 126 Pioneering
    Thank you @ails I am glad you like my able magazine article :) thank you also for your lovely words! Well done on getting your degree-that is great! I sorry that you are not able to work at the moment due to your health. I am glad you loved your last job. It makes such a difference when you enjoy something so much and feel passionate about something. Children can be amazing to be and work with as well as very accepting of illnesses and disability. I hope you manage to get back to it in the future. I am glad you enjoy volunteering as a online community champion. It is a great community ? I hope you enjoy reading my blog :) 
  • hdeakin
    Thank you so much @Seanchai I am very sorry to hear about the accident and your nasty injuries. I can imagine just all the physio and rehab was exhausting as well as very painful. I know I find it very time consuming. That must have been so hard going back to school having missed so much, especially important lessons. Congratulations on getting your city of guilds in mechanical engineering. That is great! Thank you I hope hearing my story does help others in a similar situation ?
  • hdeakin
    @northwestmum2 I am so sorry to hear about all your struggles with getting the support your boys need. It is not fair. There was talk of sending me as a day pupil to the hospital school before I was admitted when I was poorly. I don't understand why they want to put ill students with expelled and drop outs- it is like we are getting punished for being ill and are not going to learn anything with disruptive, misbehaving students who don't want to learn. I have my fingers crossed for him for his GCSE results. I hate it when they just think you are lazy. Good luck to your other son getting his English GCSE. Yes I wish they did more for disabled students in mainstream education it would make such a difference.
  • northwestmum2
    northwestmum2 Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    Aw thank you hdeakin,that is so kind.i hope you are better now too :smile:

Brightness