Appeal tomorrow. So worried. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Appeal tomorrow. So worried.

nikkif
nikkif Community member Posts: 60 Courageous
I have my appeal 2mrw after ur easy adjourned last month as I was too ill. I'm not feeling too great now and my anxiety levels are going through the roof. 
I've been awarded standard rate care component but my illness restricts me so much in what I can do I dont believe this was dair especially since there was inconsistencies in my report and when I was trying to explain in detail the assessor kept telling me there's not enough time to go into everything she gets the idea. I pointed out to her that she didnt even ask any questions about my PTSD, depression or anxiety that leave me crippled and her response was that she had other people to see and was already behind. 
I find it really difficult talking about my illness and how it has brought my life to a complete end, I'm not living I'm just existing atm without breaking down and I'm extremely terrified of what's going to happen 2mrw especially as in my mr I was reminded that my award can be taken away. In  barely surviving now if they take that away I will be completely restricted. I feel like I may be on the verge of a breakdown. 
I dont think they have any idea what this process does to us and how it hinders our health. 

Comments

• marmalade
    marmalade Community member Posts: 69 Pioneering
    Hi nikkif

I am awaiting my appeal too and i can understand your anxiety.  I think the DWP are very good at wording things or providing paperwork thats huge in order to intimade you and make you afraid or want to give up.  Do not do that you clearly need this support.

The thing to remember about these panels is that everyone on the panel is independent of DWP and will look at your case honestly and openly.  They are usually very nice and not at all intimidating.  They will ask you questions about how your situation affects you day to day.  it will take around 30-40 minutes.  These people are here to help if they can and remeber a lot of DWP decisions are overturned especially if you attend your own appeal.  so that should tell you how they work.

I will send you some reiki to help you get through it.  Try to stay calm enough to answer the questions but its not necessarily a bad thing if they see your anxiety.  Good luck
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @nikkif, I can understand it being such a daunting process and I really hope tomorrow goes well! 

Do you plan on having a relaxing evening? This may help :)
    Scope

• nikkif
    Thank you @marmalade for your positive thoughts 
    @Chloe_Scope I'm currently sat in the middle of my paperwork trying to take it all in and match it to what I believe is the correct descriptor and why. I just cant shake it off atm and keep going over and over it. 
  • marmalade
    I also received heaps of paperwork but what I did was break it down to what is important and why you're appealing the decision.  for me it was the mobility section and so whilst I addressed the inaccuracies within their assessment and subsequent report in all the other sections I focused in on the fact that they had assessed me as having an impairment instead of a disability and their whole assessment for me (i have fibromyalgia and CFS) was inappropriate and not fit for purpose.  Try not to go over and over it because it will bog you down, confuse and you will become too overwhelmed to remember anything.  Just try to focus on the crux of your appeal.  Make bullet points of what your arguments are and work from those.  Hope that helps
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @nikkif, I'm sorry the whole process has been so stressful. Best of luck for tomorrow, please let us know how you get on. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • pcoventry
    pcoventry Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    edited July 2019
    The DWP are [removed by moderator] - I was given a fit note by my GP for stress and anxiety but was told it would not be accepted without another WCA and a letter from the GP instead.

I have refused to play their rules and I am waiting to be sanctioned - they can't touch my housing benefit apparently as I have my PIP premium on it (or so CA told me) so if they want to remove my £78 a week to force me to spend 35 hours a week looking for a job, so be it. I will live off PIP if I have to 
  • Adrian_Scope
    edited July 2019
    Hi pcoventry. I understand this has been incredibly frustrating for you, but I've had to moderate your post to remove the profanity which is in breach of our guidelines.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • nikkif
    edited July 2019
    Appeal in 2 1/2 hours and the anxiety has kicked in already I'm swearing profusely, xant even read my paperwork coz everything is blurry and feel massively lightheaded. I'm so so nervous I dont know if jm gonna make it. I've been waiting so long for a chance to tell my side of my daily difficulties now I wish I'd never started. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Morning @nikkif, I understand how scary this is and I'm sorry you're feeling so anxious. 

The community will be here and we all believe in you. I hope the process goes smoothly when you are there :)
    Scope

• marmalade
    Hi nikkif
    Hang in there it will all be over very soon.  Do you have anyone going with you? 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @nikkif, I hope the tribunal went well today. Please let us know how you got on. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • nikkif
    I won I won I won!!!!
    Enhanced on both components. Over the moon. 
    The tribunal team were so great, I had a bit of a breakdown while answering some questions they were very kind and patient and it only took them 5 mins to make a decision. I was so terrified but it wasn't needed. Dont give up people fight for your rights. They cant deny the truth. 
    Thank you all for your kind words and advice. This sight has been a massive help. 
  • marmalade
    aww brilliant I am delighted for you.  Well done
  • Chloe_Scope
    That's amazing @nikkif!!! We are all so happy for you! Well done for going through with it and I'm so relieved that they were patient with you.

I'm so glad we could help :)
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    That's absolutely brilliant news @nikkif! Congratulations. Really happy for you. :smiley:
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • buzzer
    buzzer Community member Posts: 106 Pioneering
    Well done @nikkif such a relief for you! Awesome news ?

Try & be kind to one another even if we may have different views. 

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    nikkif said:
    I won I won I won!!!!
    Enhanced on both components. Over the moon. 
    The tribunal team were so great, I had a bit of a breakdown while answering some questions they were very kind and patient and it only took them 5 mins to make a decision. I was so terrified but it wasn't needed. Dont give up people fight for your rights. They cant deny the truth. 
    Thank you all for your kind words and advice. This sight has been a massive help. 
    Oh how wonderful! I`m sooooo pleased for you xx
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @nikkif

"WOW"

Thats Great News ???

@steve51

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.