Phonecall Re PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Phonecall Re PIP

Saffy
Saffy Community member Posts: 88 Courageous
I had a phone call from a very nice nurse from DWP regarding my PIP application (I'm moving from DLA).
I had a text a few weeks ago to say they'd received it and I've been anticipating a f2f.
She asked if I'd just come out if hospital or a home. I explained I live in sheltered accommodation which she said explained her mix up as it wasn't clear from the details they had.
She then said something which surprised me as I've been dreading a f2f. She said "I see you requested a home visit". Actually it was my pip advisor who filled the form in and the home visit was his suggestion. 
She then said something like,"I see you have mobility problems". And I told her I'd had fibro for 25 years.
 She then said she'd try to get everything through with just the paperwork and a report from my GP. (GP is useless and knows nothing about me or how I manage my Fibromyalgia, so don't hold out much hope there).
What is she talking about? Can they complete the process without a f2f? Even my pip advisor said I'd need one. The advisor hardly gave any info on the form. (I already posted on here asking if he'd messed up my application!). I'm not sure what to think now. Has anyone else had a similar experience? 
Oh, and on the form, where it asks for supporting reports, my advisor put 'see previous DLA application'. What was he hoping to achieve by that?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    It seems like they are trying to do a paper based assessment but if your GP doesn't know much about how your conditions affect you then it may not be possible to complete this. If so then you'll need a face to face assessment. I would advise you to expect that and if it's not needed it's a bonus.

As you're transferring from DLA then it's possible to use your DLA file as evidence.

Hopefully you'll hear more soon. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Saffy
    @poppy123456, thank you. I'll keep everything crossed then.
    Interesting about using the DLA file. I thought the two were assessed differently i.e. not how much walking hurts but what you will use the money for to ease the problem, like getting a taxi.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    That definitely wasn't what DLA was all about. It was about your disability and care needs.  PIP is more about how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors.

There was never any question about what you would spend the money on, the same for PIP.

Although they are different benefits and claiming DLA doesn't mean you'll automatically be entitled to PIP. There maybe evidence in the DLA file that could be useful for your PIP claim.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Saffy
    @poppy123456, Wish I'd kept a copy of my last DLA claim now. Oh well! Wonder how long I'll have to wait to hear anything.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, I am also at the early stage of applying for PIP. My form and evidence went off last Monday. Sent it recorded delivery and tracked it to see it had got there on Tuesday. I did request a home f2f. My daughter, who worked as a benefit advisor, filled in the form for me.

Waiting now for whatever happens next.

Hope you are successful. I know people who have got the full award just from their forms, without a f2f.

I was on full DLA for 19 years, with an indefinite award. xx
  • Saffy
    @pollyanna1052, Thanks. I also had a 'for life' award of DLA so I'm hoping for the best outcome. I've had fibro for 25 years and because it's a life long condition and you can only treat symptoms as they arise, I very rarely see my Doctor. That's fine by me as I don't want to one of those people who time waste for no good reason. However, it doesn't do me any favours in circumstances where a doctor's knowledge of how fibro affects me is so important.
    Fingers crossed for both of us then☺
    Good luck.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.