Do I need a fit note? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do I need a fit note?

Options
zebedee
zebedee Community member Posts: 7 Connected
Hi Everyone

I have just been assessed by DWP and been put in the support group for ESA.  My letter says that I will be paid every two weeks whilst I continue to be entitled to be in the Support Group.  It does not say how long I have until next WCA or whether I need to continue producing fit notes from my doctors.  

I have phoned DWP up and have had two different answers one person has said yes and the other no to me still having to produce fit notes to prove I am still entitled the ESA and when I also mentioned that I had not been told how long I had been awarded it for their reply was did you not listen to your assessor.  So explained that I was in extreme pain and when it is that bad my concentration is affected let alone the medication that I was taking clouds the mind, so could they send me confirmation in writing whether I had to still get fit notes and for how long they had decided that I was in the Support Group.  The reply to this was no so was wondering if anyone here could clear it up as all the current literature is ambiguous and does not say much like the letter I received that was going on about the amount of back pay that I would get for certain times from March 2017 to July 2019 and how much back pay would be paid into my account and then on about Mandatory Reconsideration.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,041 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Great news. No you don't need to send anymore fit note because you've successfully been placed into a group.

Timescales..the reason there's no timescales on the decision letter is because for ESA you can be re-assessed anytime from 3 months.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @zebedee and a warm welcome to the community! This is great news!

I also have removed all of your duplicate posts, is their anything else we can do to help?
    Scope

• zebedee
    zebedee Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    Options
    Hi, Chloe thank you for that, and I have just phoned to get them on a dictaphone provided by my University (Open University) for disability to confirm I do not need fit notes so have it recorded just in case they decide that I should have had a fit note.  I do not trust DWP as they have previously tried to say that I had not sent a fit note but suddenly found it once I could give them a tracking number and say when, what time and who signed for it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,041 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You definitely don't need anymore fit notes once you've successfully be placed into a group. I've been in the Support Group since 2013 and never sent any fit notes.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.