Getting out and about - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Getting out and about

Options
2»

Comments

• beccyh
    beccyh Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Options
    Thanks for you’re advice, I’ll ask them and see how I get on. Have you got any upcoming plans?
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Not yet. We are hoping to take a train down to Portsmouth next week for shopping. 
  • beccyh
    Options
    That should be nice, have a lovely time. 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi again. Railway assistance is a great service. You need to book them as they have to keep to timetables and dont take kindly to giving help if it hasnt been booked. I`ve always found them to be really kind.
  • beccyh
    Options
    Aww, thanks for that, that’s good to know, I will try them. how far in advance do they require booking?
  • pollyanna1052
    Options
    at least 24 hours x
  • beccyh
    Options
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @beccyh, it's great that you're wanting to do this! Like what has been said above, you need to ring up at least 24 hours in advance and explain your needs.

I have found the service really helpful in the past!

I hope it all goes to plan and please do let us know how you get on :)
    Scope

• beccyh
    Options
    Thankyou for your helpful advice, I’m very anxious about doing it alone, but I’ll definitely let you know how I get on ? any places you wouldn’t recommend going?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    No problem at all, I understand how hard it can be!

Maybe not a big city centre? I look forward to hearing about your adventure! :)
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    Options
    I`ve been spoilt this week! On Tuesday I had a re-union lunch with 3 people I worked with 20 years ago! And yesterday met a friend who I hadnt seen for 4 years! 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    Aw that sounds lovely @pollyanna1052!! Did you enjoy it?
    Scope

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Today I went to see a movie at the cinema with a friend I had not seen for five years. It was lovely, we had a lovely catchup afterwards over muffins and cups of water. 
  • pollyanna1052
    Options
    Yes thankyou Chloe, both events were lovely.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    That's amazing! So glad you enjoyed them :)
    Scope

• beccyh
    Options
    Thankyou so much for you’re advice regarding disabled travel assistance, I made my first train journey to west Kirby, actually had to get two trains and the assistance was very helpful at getting me around and on and off the trains. I had a wonderful time and can’t wait to go again ?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Options
    Hi @beccyh, that's amazing news!! I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself and that the assistance were really helpful! You'll have to let us know about your next adventure!!!
    Scope

• LubieLoo17
    LubieLoo17 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Options
    @beccyh I use an App and website called AccessAble, it really is very useful for giving you Access Information if you are wanting to visit somewhere new!

They've got 10000s of Venues listed and by using the Detailed Access Guides on the App and Website, people can find out whether accessible parking bays are available, how you would need to walk to get to an entrance, if a hearing loop is available at reception, at side the transfer space is in an accessible toilet, whether there are tactile lift buttons, if staff have received disability training, if somewhere plays background music, if flashing fire alarms are available and if there are places to sit and rest.

And the App, available from Google Play and the Apple App Store 

Might be worth a try as it's helped me with my anxiety when going to new places!

Lucy 
  • Harp
    Harp Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi

As 1 with visually impaired and Learning difficulties with confidence and anxiety issues, can be hurdle for me in many ways. I find it hard to find way in new places with my sight issues but I also find it hard to ask people  with my learning difficulties. I do feel ackwsrd sitting in a cafe by myself. Also the lack of awareness of others about the white came I use is frustrating.
    https://www.facebook.com/1Voice.Vision.of.the.heart/
    Everyone has the right to have a say in what ever method they use

Brightness