Does anyone else have ataxia, — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does anyone else have ataxia,

Options
triciaCOOK
triciaCOOK Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Looking for any one who has ATAXIA and how they manage and what treatment they have had please. 

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @triciaCOOK and welcome to the community. I believe a few of our members have Ataxia, including one of our community champions, @Ami2301.

Hopefully she’ll be along in a bit and might be willing to talk about the condition with you.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @triciaCOOK welcome to the community! I have Sensory Ataxia, intensive physiotherapy has massively helped me control my Ataxia. There is no cure but finding the best ways to help you manage daily activities is important. If you have any further questions then please let me know and I would be happy to share my experience with you :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @triciaCOOK! I hope you are able to find people here who you can relate to :)
    Scope

• Stickman
    Stickman Community member Posts: 110 Pioneering
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I have Ataxia as a result from surgery to remove a brain tumour in 1974.  I think I read somewhere that there are 50 to 100 different ataxias!
  • Stickman
    Stickman Community member Posts: 110 Pioneering
    Options
    OK, I find that going to the gym helps me reduce my ataxia.  I used to go to The Insitute of Conductive Education which also helped.
  • Swordfish
    Swordfish Community member Posts: 54 Pioneering
    Options
    I have Cerebella Ataxia caused by alcohol misuse, I was diagnosed by neurology  in 1994.past history cerebral haemorrhage and epilepsy post alcohol--dry for 25 years, benzodiazepines to control tremor ataxia  ( that was taken from a letter from my doctor) sent in with my M.R.   Zero points on first assessment.
    P.S. I realise some may have an issue with alcohol being the cause, never received any treatment for Ataxia 

Brightness