COPING STRATEGIES AND METHODS — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

COPING STRATEGIES AND METHODS

thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
Hello every one have my coping strategies to help me through those difficult days. I have thought like to share.

Thinking of those like my self who need to find some answers some easy solutions to cope. With either the mental health issues you have or dealing with day to day.

Including stress or dealing with pressures .

I use first thing I always do is to evaluate the problem why am I this way.?  Why is today a day feeling depressed or stressed what is cause the problems I have.

Using general notes to you self keeping a mood diary the triggers that cause these problems mentally is a good way.

To identify what is the prime cause , find the answers can heal thy self if you can.  I would always seek the guidance of your GP or find some one to talk to if the issues persist.

Some different ways are letting off steam. Have a rant either here on this forum. Many times I have done so. Felt a lot better.  Amazing what a few lines of words can do and the massive response.

Talking to friends or family often beneficial.  If you have them.

Try to be calm when talking write down what you wish to say can be emotional or distressing. Often by writing it down and saying to family, or friends or in my own case mental health support.

Please can you read this.  I do understand my self and know can rant and rave go into long periods of talking quickly to any one who knows me.

So have learnt to be calm if I can be  and write it down even though may it is helping me to communicate to the those who are helping or listening to me.

Sometimes us men need to talk it is a different way of communicating writing it down if you struggle with your feelings emotions..

I do understand have been their so many times.

Another way is to keep your mind active, busy thinking about your problems can be worse. Go around the head and effecting mind and body.  Which in turn effects appetite and stomach and related.

Anything to reassure you.    Seek encouragement, support and kindness form those who may help.  Understand this helps me here this forum so much support, love and warmth to those who have helped.

What has helped me aided me as well is the time I have to use to meditate, time out.  Sundays a rest day.  Have lots of music, calm, relaxing.  Have a coping box my own . Has my favourite passages from the books I use.  Favourite poems and bible, plus CD's 

Recipes and those good feeling foods I can use to help me get over the days.

Think positivity , if I can.  Recharge batteries some time to reflect.  

Does it matter an aspect of the way to cope with those tasks we have the house duties the need to do everything.  In one day do when you can.  Do a little by little.

No point getting angry if you find and organise your daily structure such as meal times or food preparation do that if you can plan and make time.

Get stressed over what you are eating can effect your mental wellbeing think of positivity and use you time wisely.

Have meals make simples one store in the fridge or freezer.  Those days.

If the situation is causing you a lot of problems feel the need to just walk away and just think this is it worth it.

If some one is causing harm to your mental wellbeing and you feel angry or upset then consider the need to breathe have some space.

Give you self sometime to be calm if getting angry is that going to hurt you or the make the problem worse. No point shouting .  If that cause problems with anything health wise  sudden reactions cause emotions or upset.

To any parties involved.  Be and resume when ready use the letter idea I was told to do. Write a letter explaining your emotions, your feelings.  By my support workers.

This  I hope helps any one.

Wish you all good mental health wellbeing.

Thanks for reading.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team

Sometimes us men need to talk it is a different way of communicating writing it down if you struggle with your feelings emotions.
    This is really important. Talking isn't the only means by which we can express how we feel.
    Thank you for these suggestions @thespiceman. Such a thoughtful post and one I think will really help someone somewhere.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Adrian_Scope   Thank you for kind words.

I am aware of my own health issues. As a man it is sometimes difficult to express how really you are.

As I have mentioned before on this forum. The problems may arise with meeting a support worker who is not aware of how you are.

Especially if the person is a woman discussing intimate sometime private feelings and emotions.  With her.

I know it the same for women discussing intimate, private feelings emotions with a man.

Never easy.  

I know in these times so much pressure and stress to conform and be rushed and show your emotions and feeling. Yet some days struggle to do so.

Why I use this. This is one good aspects of many mental health charities they can and do offer lot of support plus offer a lot of vital information, guidance on your well being.

Learnt a lot and still getting to educating myself.

Built up a library and lots of reference material to aid and to heal.

Will put some time some more on.  

Hope that might help more members.

Take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness