Have you ever been rejected a job because of your particular condition — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Have you ever been rejected a job because of your particular condition

Options
BlankandWhite
BlankandWhite Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited July 2019 in Work and employment
So a tiny segment about my working experience. 
I've worked abroad and in the UK however the land I've lived in for my entire life, England has been the one that has made me feel the least confident about myself when going to an interview!
I never used to tell people about my condition and I didn't think it was necessary however when I was left to work with my own responsibility at work there was an incident and it was totally my fault, I felt so guilty and I was sacked basically. 
Since this incident I lost confidence in my own ability to work with machinery and to be left responsible for other workers due to my condition. 
I had an interview with an airline company, was a cleaning service type of job and they asked me soo many questions which I thought was normal until they asked if I was fit to work which lead down the road to my mental health issues and any medication I take, I responded and they both looked at each other as if they had made their decision and judged me on what I had told them. 
After the interview, I went back the house I stay in and I got an email saying I didn't get the job and that they felt I wasn't the right candidate etc etc etc.. I have 0 criminal convictions, I never gave the impression I was ill or lacked the ability to understand and I was willing to work however since this incident I've lacked the confidence to trust people at an interview thus resulting in my reluctancy to have another one face to face.
I hope that nobody else has had this experience and if you have, please share! It's horrible :(

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @BlankandWhite and welcome to the community!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and I'm sorry you felt turned down for the job because of your mental health.

Are you currently looking for work?

Scope run various employment services which you may find helpful. :)
    Scope

• BlankandWhite
    Options
    It's alright. 
    I am currently looking for work and I've contacted someone local to my area to give me a call back and talk to me about advice and helping me build my confidence back up again to work. 
    It's incredibly how much 1 behaviour can impact another person. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's great that you have looked into local advice. I completely understand how people's actions can impact our confidence, especially in relation to having different health needs.

I hope they are helpful. Please do keep us updated, have a look around, and let us know if there is anything we can do to help :)
    Scope

• BlankandWhite
    Options
    Thankyou :) and will do :) 
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @BlackandWhite

I have experienced disability discrimination in the work place nearly all of my life. 
    And when i finally got a clinical diagnosis in my late 40s  after which my employer closed our local branch of their company to make me redundant, all my colleagues were transferred to other branches, and 2 years later they opened a new branch in our area at a different site. This caused what some call Post Traumatic Stress and i was was on tranquillisers for months afterwards.
    Since then I have not even been invited to an interview to any of my multiple job applications which probably now runs into the thousands, and those running our local job centre a few years ago told me to change my benefit to ESA as i would never get an employer t understand my disability, and provide the accommodations i may need. 
    So from my perspective we live in a corrupt society run by those who do not want to help those who are different and have various types of disablities. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,937 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @BlankandWhite. Thanks for sharing your experiences. It must be so frustrating. 
    Make sure to let us know how you get on with the job hunt and if you need any support or advice here, don't hesitate to let us know.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • BlankandWhite
    Options
    @dolfrog that is unfair and unjust how can people treat us like this? We all experience life differently and how are we expected to do better and become providing citizens for ourselves, our families and loved ones if we get treated like we're not entitled to atleast a interview without judgement. I do however think that organisations like Scope will help people like us and there is always a glimmer of hope for us even if England has lost its way for its people! Thank you for sharing, I'm very sorry this has happened to you and it should not have! 
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @BlankandWhite ,
    I have Auditory Processing Disorder, a listening disability or the brain having problems processing what the ears hear, which is also the main underlying cognitive cause of developmental dyslexia.
    What made has it worse over time is that the company I worked for was owned and set up by a well known dyslexic, who had the support and understanding he needed, but who failed to insure that his companies staff provided the support and understanding his fellow dyslexics may require. 

Brightness