Pip stopped — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip stopped

Dodi44
Dodi44 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
went for my pip face to face was very nervous being sick nd shaking sweating , I also suffer from a tremor in my right hand which affects my movement and doing things the assessor said that because I have a bank account and was holding a tissue I was capable of doing everything, I have taken two overdoses due to the shame of it all please help me

Comments

• mermaidmom
    mermaidmom Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    Why do you feel ashamed? You have done nothing wrong, these pip assessments are so harsh. Don’t try to take your life they are not worth that! 
    Please go to the citizens advice service and get some helpful advice about appealing the decision. Also see your GP as you need some urgent help to deal with your low mood and the GP will also have the ability to refer you to the right support services and this will give further details of your difficulties when appealing against the pip decision.
    All is not lost even though you are feeling this is the case at the moment.
  • Dodi44
    Thanks my doctor has told me she is putting together a letter for my mandatory reconsideration and a freind also who knows me very well and helps me when bad , They also said because there was no care package on medication that I could look after my own medicine despite numerous suicide attempts , I have a lot of guilt in me as I was abused as a child by a family member the doctor referred me to first point of access but they wouldn’t take me on due to my drinking I av cut down now , so I have been accepted , shall I tell the mandatory reconsideration all this or is it too much Thanks Rick 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Dodi44

I am very very sorry to hear about your pip assessment.

I am one off the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

We have got some great info on pip here on our site.

Here’s some info for you below:

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/personal-independence-payment-pip/

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/preparing-for-pip-assessment/

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/challenging-PIP-or-other-benefits-decisions/

@steve51
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Do not feel ashamed. Don’t give up hope. Use this tool to type up a letter of appeal- https://www.advicenow.org.uk/pip-tool
    They are so harsh, are they not? 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Dodi44 and welcome to the community. I'm very sorry to hear what has happened. You've received some great advice from our members and I'm sure more members of the community will be along soon to offer their advice.

Have you tried talking to the Samaritans? They can offer advice and support with how you are feeling. You can either ring 116 123 (free) or if you prefer by email jo@samaritans.org

If you feel that you are at risk then please seek medical attention or ring 999.

We will help you as much as we can :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Seconded. The Samaritans will be able to help you. They are trained to help people with serious mental health issues. Either call their number or email them. Or you can contact MIND. This NHS page has more information https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-services/mental-health-services/how-to-access-mental-health-services/
    If you are clearly unable to think straight, ask to be admitted to a MH facility for treatment. We are here to support you. It might also be a idea to see if you can be put on some antidepressant meds as well. Are you seeing a therapist or not? That could also help you. 
    Ask your GP to refer you to mental health services.  
    Keep us updated. 
  • Deb_Alumni
    Deb_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 180 Pioneering
    Hi @Dodi44

I am very sorry to read about your Pip assessment.  I am however pleased to see that our community members have responded to you so quickly with advice and support on how to appeal your assessment and provide you the help and support you asked for.

I apologise with duplicating what has already been shared with you, but as you mention thoughts of suicide we have a duty of care to share this information with you. It is so important that you discuss these thoughts with someone who is qualified to help.

You may have already called the Samaritans, but in case you haven't you can call them on 116 123 (free) or email them at jo@samaritans.org.

You might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how you can help yourself:
    http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/suicidal-feelings/how-can-i-help-myself/

If you feel that you may be in immediate danger to yourself, please call 999 or go to your local hospital right away.

I hope that the links that @Steve51 has shared will assist you to appeal.

Best wishes

Debbie

Debbie
    Online Community Manager
  • Dodi44
    How many pip mandatory reconsideration s actually win
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Dodi44   Pleased to meet you .

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience in your PIP assessment.

I do understand .  I am one of the team of community champions.  We guide and advise, help new members who join the community.

Please can I advise that the links provided may help and offer a lot of support.  Regarding your mental health and know that is important.

I am myself have mental health issues and am also a reformed alcoholic.

I know this is a difficult time for you and have a lot of concerns as I know too well the fears of relapse.

I am myself clean twelve years .  Every day a struggle.

One point may I add is I used mental health charities.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk

May help with your mental health and also your addiction.  Please if it is not working the current situation then you need to access the support you need.

Every one is entitled to good mental health and wellbeing.

Might not be in all areas. Get floating support and wellbeing advice. Do have addiction advisors something for you to make that lifestyle choice.

As an alcoholic of thirty years  know that it is the first steps the most hardest.  I never tell another brother or sister what to do.  In the addiction community.

Your always following some one.

That is your prerogative.  If you do make that choice and I can help with anything support any guidance please contact me. 

Well done to you for first cutting down .  By doing that.

I do think it is worth speaking to some one to help and guide you through a lot of the PIP procedure.

Have a look at the links provided or speak to CAB.  Your local office.

Many of my friends on the community and members have given a lot of support.

We are here to help.  Please take care and if you have any questions please get in touch . If I can happy to answer anything.

Do have a lot of history concerning addiction.

I am sorry what you went through as a child. That is some thing I do know about as well.  

Please what is important right now is your mental health and how we as a community can be supportive.

You are a valued member of our community.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • mermaidmom
    mermaidmom Community member Posts: 5 Connected
    Hi how are you doing today?
    i just wanted to say that having read your response to my reply last night. I too was abused as a child and I understand the impact that has on your life and future relationships. It took a long time for me to be able to actually tell someone what happened to me, in fact I was 44! I suffered with depression and was suicidal as a teenager, I started drinking heavily at 17 and only stopped when I became sick in my early 20s. 
    Ive gone through lots in my life, domestic violence and have disabled children. I’ve fallen apart any times, and that is nothing to be ashamed of, life is bloody tough at times and appears to treat some of us much worse than others.
    There are people out there who can help you I promise, sometimes it’s hard to see the wood for the trees, as the saying goes.
    i sought help through my GP and had to self refer to counselling, I found steps for change, really good, had to wait a few weeks but I was very fortunate to find a counsellor who listened and validated my feelings, this was the first time in my 44 years that, that had ever happened! Pills and alcohol are crutches many of us use to get through each day but they are not helpful long term and actually having someone to talk to, really talk to, is a huge step. The abuse never goes away, your acceptance that it happened and finding a way to live your life not feeling you deserved it, or that it defines you, is key to healing. 
    I’m sorry I’ve rattled on a lot. Sending you all the best, keep strong and seek help please, don’t let the abuser finish the life he or she sought to damage, you deserve better x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.