Representative — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Representative

Singing
Singing Community member Posts: 135 Courageous
Hi,  I have 3 weeks to get my reasons for tribunal report done.
 I have been to CAB and DAS says they can’t help me as they are over run, but CAB can’t help me write the reasons for tribunal as I need a representative. And neither can represent me. 
Who can I get to represent me?
I need someone as I have no one in my life to be there to help.
My support worker is on holiday till Sep. 24th.
I have severe mental health problems and need someone to help me write my reasons for tribunal out.
DAS emailed me a help pack of how to write it but its pretty intimidating. 
Shall I just give it my best shot?
I also really need someone to come with me and to be that representative- who or where can I find someone for this?
Thank you

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,317 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Put your postcode into this link and it will tell you if there's any other advice in your area. Welfare rights or a law centre will sometimes represent. https://advicelocal.uk/

Do you have your hearing in 3 weeks? If so then you'll need to make sure they receive everything at least 10 days before the hearing date.

A representative won't be able to speak on your behalf, you'll need to do this yourself, the only person that knows how your conditions affect you is yourself.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Singing
    Thank you poppy - no this is for the one month to apply for tribunal 
  • Singing
    After failed mandatory reconsideration letter
  • Singing
    So far my local services have refused to take on my case as they are already overwhelmed - who could I have as a rep ? Do I need one ? Or just as strong a case to take a friend for emotional support? I don’t want to go on my own - can a support worker be my rep ?
  • poppy123456
    You can take someone with you for emotional support. A rep would just present your case and a social worker most likely won't be able to do that. There's a big difference in a rep and someone who's there to emotional support you. You will still have to speak for yourself, whichever route you take, unless you have an appointee and then they can speak for you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Singing

Here is some information about the tribunal process. I understand this can be a stressful time and it be hard to know what is 'right'. 

Here are other links that may be useful:
    You do not need a representative as it will be you that is asked to speak. Taking a friend with you would be perfectly fine. :)
    Scope

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    You can bring a friend with you for support. My son’s social worker came along on the day at my request but she waited outside. Just having her is enough for me personally. Best wishes! Keep us posted. 
  • Singing
    Thank you - I got through to another DAS who helped me on the phone after I asked - insisted as my area they weren’t talking to me - She helped and said a rep isn’t necessary it is me talking and my evidence that counts - I still don’t want to go alone but might have to - I hear they can pay for the taxi costs ? I am not driving anymore it’s an hour away - how will I get there ? I can’t use public transport and a taxi would cost so much money ? 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Singing, yes they do pay for taxi costs, but you have to pay and then claim it back. I hope this helps. :)
    Scope

• poppy123456
    You'll need to contact HMCTS to ask about claiming back the taxi costs so it can be agreed before your hearing date.
  • Singing
    Ok - thank you 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.