Soon to be living alone..no living parents and no friends. - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Soon to be living alone..no living parents and no friends.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Hartley   Thank you very much for the reply,  just wanted to add make a folder and add any notes from the links.

That have been provided.  For future reference.  I know there is a lot of information and advice.

Buy a diary use that for an organiser a planner. Use that for important numbers and contacts.  Plus dates.

So you will not forget everything.

Then you have the information handy and keep safe. I hope that helps you.

Learnt that tip from one of my support workers as I kept forgetting everything. 

Sometimes your mind is so full and can not cope. With the anxiety and stress.  Especially when your moving. Looking for a home and so much to deal with.

We are here to help and be supportive.  Please let the community how you are and you know where we are if you need to ask anything.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Hartley
    Hartley Posts: 114 Courageous
    @thespiceman

Very comforting message, thank you!
    And you must know me as im terrible at keeping notes!..

Even though i do try....there have been times i havent recognised my own hand writing...its truly weird!

On any given day...depending how im processing information..(its truly a brain issue process and not emotional..the emotion/frustration is born out of not being able to get the processes working)but youre totally right concerning keeping notes...so thank you for that,

Little chucks rather than the whole picture right!...

I did call the Autism society and it seemed a bit odd...maybe its me..but the poor adviser sounded completely spent...they must be inundated !..

I'll wait until i go back to the assessment centre on my 2nd interview post diagnosis. They have an idea as to where my head is as ive sent numerous rambling emails to them....as theyre professionals in their fields theyll hopefully not think of me as actually nut...but a nice insight into what its like living inside my head...i have it 24/7...but with some cognitive aids and the lovely help ive had here thus far...will hopefully put me on the right track.
  • Hartley
    @poppy123456

Sorry, but just to clarify...Will i lose £174 or will it just be replaced with the LCWRA?..

In my head(and its the last time i'm going to look at it today as im going nuts)

i presently receive :smile:

Limited Capability for Work Element

What you're entitled to

Standard allowance

You get a standard amount each month. You said you're single

£317.82

Carer

You said that you are caring for someone.

£160.20

Total entitlement before deductions

£478.02

What we take off (deductions)

Other benefits

We take money off your payment:

As this is an average of other benefits that you're continuing to claim

Carer's Allowance-£286.65

Advances

We take money off your payment to repay your advances.

For a list of advances, please refer to your journal.

-£16.67

Total deductions

-£303.32

Your total payment for this month is

£174.70

end quote:

So, should i receive LCWRA  how will this change?  to my mind..i lose £174 approx give or take.
  • Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    Hartley said:
    @Roddy

No to disagree with you,but someone else said i wouldnt receive housing benefit due to being on UC.
    @Hartley,  Well, I am also on UC and I receive Housing Benefit. I also received a Crisis Payment/Budgeting Loan (call it what you will) when I asked my UC Case Worker for one, to purchase a new bed mattress, and this was less than 7 weeks ago. Contacting Shelter, is a wise move, as so too is asking for a Adult Services Social Worker to be assigned.  I don't know who told you that you wouldn't receive HB due to being on UC, but they are wrong. However, HB decisions are based upon your own personal & financial circumstances. Also, very few County Councils will rehouse you or consider you for Social Housing if you're already in any rent arrears... What you need, is a Social Worker AND to give Shelter a call. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,039 Disability Gamechanger
    In all your previous messages you never stated that you're currently in the Limited capability for work group, i just seen that you're waiting to receive a UC50 form. Therefore i assumed that you weren't in a group. Makes no different either way, at the moment because you're in the LCW group then you can receive the carers element at the same time because there's no extra money for you because you're in the LCW group.

If after your next work capability assessment you're given LCWRA then you'll receive the £336 extra per month. If you receive this then you'll lose the carers element of £160 per month.

This means that you'll receive and extra £176 per month, even though you'll lose the carers element.

So in total your monthly will be as follows.

Standard allowance over 25 = £317.82
    LCWRA element £336.20 = £654.02

UC will deduct £286.85 carers allowance
    and £16.67. Total deductions £303.32.

Total monthly amount will be £350.70 per month.

When you move house and receive help with your rent you'll receive housing element on top of this amount. For this of course you'll need to check the link i posted above. Hope this helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Hartley
    @poppy123456

Not sure why that came up but no.im not in any group!..
    And ive already filled in the uc50 form..Newcastle received it last monday..

im scratching my had as to why the smiley face and limited capability!..

i get the standard rate and carers..

I was wondering if you know if i'll receive free prescriptions? on this amount?
  • Hartley
    @Roddy

No rent arrears!
  • Hartley
    @poppy123456

Quick Q:
    When i find a home...who pays the rent? is it automatically paid by UC? or do i have to independently apply to the local council? 
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2019
    As you're not working and earning any income, you'll receive free NHS treatment. This includes prescriptions, dental and eye tests.

There will be an extra amount in your UC payment each month for you use to pay your rent yourself. You'll need to make changes on your journal for them to add the housing element. It's nothing to do with your local council.  Like i said, you'll need to use the link above to see what you could claim, it may not cover the whole amount, which is why you need to check before finding somewhere to live. You'll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate if you'll be living alone. For council tax reduction you'll need to claim this from your local council because it's not part of UC.

If you're renting from social housing you won't need a tenancy agreement to claim housing element. If you're renting from a private landlord then you'll need a tenancy agreement to be able to receive the housing element.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Hartley
    @poppy123456

The 1 bed bungalow rents round here are approx £400 a month.
    Ive tried that link and it keeps coming up red....im placing the correct info in but i get no results..

Not sure what it is im doing wrong.
  • Hartley
    @poppy123456

This is a copy and paste of that link ,after you Bedford and 1 bedroom

Error 1: No results were found. Please check the details you entered. If in any doubt, contact the housing benefit department at the local authority.

To find your Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rate, fill in the details and select ‘Submit’.

Required information is marked with an asterisk (*).

*Select how many bedrooms you are entitled to under LHA.
      Please select ...  Shared Accommodation  One Bedroom  Two Bedrooms  Three Bedrooms  Four Bedrooms  Show all 
    Show helpLHA Category Help:

LHA Category Help:If you are not sure how many bedrooms you are entitled to, use the LHA Bedroom Calculator or contact the housing benefit department at your local authority.

*Enter a postcode (e.g. CB24 2AE) 

A partial postcode or local authority search may return more than one result.

Choose the month when your housing benefit claim starts.  
    *Month   January  February  March  April  May  June  July  August  September  October  November  December 
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2019
    Scroll down and put 1 bedroom. Then either put the full postcode or the local authority, don't put both, if you do this then it will be an error.

You may find it even more difficult to find a bungalow as these are usually very few and far between in a lot of areas.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @harley, just wanted to check in and say hi!

It's great to see the support other members have been able to give you here. Please do let me know if the community can help you with anything else :)
    Scope

• Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    Hartley said:
    @poppy123456

Quick Q:
    When i find a home...who pays the rent? is it automatically paid by UC? or do i have to independently apply to the local council? 
    Your Council deal with Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit, and their are limits to how much benefit you receive as a living alone single person. 

You should ask your Council before taking another property the amount of Housing Benefit that you can get. Any shortfall will have to be paid by yourself.  If you have a private landlord, then most Councils, pay your Housing Benefit directly to you, and it is then you that has to pay this money to your landlord  However, if your disabled you can ask to have your HB paid directly to your landlord instead.

You must contact the Council Tax department separately and they will asses whether or not you are entitled to any benefit/reduction, but again you will need to pay any shortfall...

Do not assume that Housing Benefit will cover all of your rent. It will not. No matter how much your rent is, or the size of your property, you will ONLY receive your Council's maximum amount of HB, and they have strict/fixed amounts even if your rent goes up.
  • poppy123456
    Roddy said:
    Hartley said:
    @poppy123456

Quick Q:
    Your Council deal with Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit, and their are limits to how much benefit you receive as a living alone single person. 

This isn't correct for Hartley because he's claiming Universal Credit, he can't claim Housing benefit. Help for rent is paid in with UC as the housing element. Council tax reduction is of course claimed from the local council.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 10,666 Scope online community team
    Hi @Hartley, sorry it seems you're having trouble with the Local Housing Allowance link, it does seem to bug for people sometimes. 

Depending on the area of Bedford/close surrounding areas there are three different rates for a 1 bed:

Bedford BRMA
    One Bedroom Rate: £109.29 per week

Huntingdon BRMA
    One Bedroom Rate: £111.28 per week

Northants Central BRMA
    One Bedroom Rate: £87.42 per week

I hope that helps. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Hartley
    @Adrian_Scope

Yep!...i did make sure i was punching in the right information....

Thanks for the heads up on rents..

I wont obviously for safety's sake disclose where im at..but its enough to say im in the Bedfordshire county...so would i assume it would all be paid?..not being greedy at all, but if i go by the Bedford figures it would more than pay the rents,as on average for a bungalow ...its £90-107 a week round here.. 
  • poppy123456
    It would all be paid providing you stay within the maximum amount allowed.
  • Hartley
    edited August 2019
    Scroll down and put 1 bedroom. Then either put the full postcode or the local authority, don't put both, if you do this then it will be an error.

You may find it even more difficult to find a bungalow as these are usually very few and far between in a lot of areas.
    Exactly, im screwed..!

I placed a bid today(for 7 months ,they had me on the wrong filter)  and im 37 of 47 bids...Priority goes to those in the loca Parish.,.

I'll keep going until i can no longer go!  thats all i can do.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Hartley   Sorry to hear this.  Thought about your situation from reading some of your posts.

Some other avenues and areas of assistance .

Have you contacted your local Salvation Army Local Branch see how they can help you?

https://www.salvationarmy.org.uk.

Helpline 020 7367 4500  

See what they offer.   I know could help.. Something to look at.

Got my own Housing Association. The Home Group.

Might have homes in your area.  Have a look on line.

I wish you all the best. 

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness