when your at your lowest, then read — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

when your at your lowest, then read

zakblood
zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
first i'll make it clear, it's not from me, was posted to me by a friend who knew i needed a boost, so just thought i'd pass it on and see if it helps others in the same boat, as it's sink or swim time for most of us at given times of the year when things get on top of us,

A soldier with PTSD fell into a hole and couldn’t get out. When a SNCO walked by the Soldier called out for help, but the SNCO yelled back, "Suck it up son, digdeep and drive on," then threw him a shovel. The Soldier did as he was told and dug that hole deeper.

A Senior Officer went by and the Soldier called out for help again. The Officer told him "use the tools your SNCO has given you", then threw him a bucket. The Soldier used the tools and he dug the hole deeper still and filled the bucket.

A psychiatrist walked by. The Soldier called, “Help! I can’t get out!” so the psychiatrist gave him some drugs and said, "Take this. It will relieve the pain and you will forget about the hole.” The Soldier said "thanks" and followed his advice, but when the pills ran out he was still in the hole.

A well-known psychologist rode by and heard the Soldiers cries for help. He stopped and asked, “How did you get there? Were you born there? Did your parents put you there? Tell me about yourself, it will alleviate your sense of loneliness.” So the Soldier talked with him for an hour, then the psychologist had to leave, but he said he’d be back next week. The Soldier thanked him, but he was still in the hole.

Another Soldier , just like him, happened to be passing by. The Soldier with PTSD cried out, “Hey, help me. I’m stuck in this hole!” and right away the other Soldier jumped down in there with him. The Soldier with PTSD started to panic and said, “What are you doing? Now we’re both stuck down here!” But the other Soldier just smiled and replied, “It’s okay, calm down, brother. I’ve been here before..... I know how to get out.”

No matter what you're going through, you are never alone.

But don't be too proud to SHOUT OUT!, 'HELP I'm stuck in this Hole' …...

We all get stuck in a hole from time to time but all it takes is to ask your mates for help and we will be there even if we have to jump in that hole with you.

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    That is a wonderful story and so true!  Thanks for sharing these words of encouragement, @zakblood:smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • zakblood
    well my old friend from school moved away to scotland more than 20 years ago, and we keep in touch as she is a nurse up there, and she knows me well and how i feel on a weekly and monthly basis and can generally tell what mood i'm in on how i post etc, so she sent me this the other day on a bad day i was having and it lifted me, so was more than happy to share so it can help others
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    amazing story. Thankyou for posting it x
  • Birdsnbees
    Birdsnbees Community member Posts: 75 Pioneering
    This is lovely thanks for sharing
  • pollyanna1052
    I do love to read, but I sometimes struggle to be in the zone for reading.
    A friend is an avid reader and holds a library of hehr own.
    She has tempted me with a wide variety of titles. The ones I`ve really enjoyed are;

The Keeper of Lost Things
    My Life as a Geisha

Going to start on Catch 22 soon.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    This is very uplifting thanks ?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for sharing @zakblood!
    Scope

• Swordfish
    Swordfish Community member Posts: 54 Pioneering

There is an old Cherokee Indian story about The White Wolf And The Black Wolf.

A group of Cherokee children has gathered around their grandfather. They are filled with excitement and curiousity. That day there had been a quite tumultuous conflict between two adults and their grandfather was called to mediate. The children are eager to hear what he has to say about it.

One of the children pops the question that puzzles him. “Grandfather, why do people fight?”. “Well” the old man replies “we all have two wolves inside us, you see. They are in our chest. And these wolves are constantly fighting each other”. The eyes of the children have grown big by now. “In our chests too, grandfather?” asks another child. “And in your chest too?” asks a third one. He nods, “yes, in my chest too”. He surely has their attention now. Grandfather continues. “There is a white wolf and a black wolf. The black wolf is filled with fear, anger, envy, jealousy, greed, and arrogance. The white wolf is filled with peace, love, hope, courage, humility, compassion, and faith. They battle constantly”. Then he stops. It’s the child that asked the initial question that can’t handle the tension anymore. “But grandfather, which wolf wins?”. The old Cherokee simply replies, “the one that we feed”.

• GettinOlde
    GettinOlde Community member Posts: 495 Pioneering
    Swordfish said:

There is an old Cherokee Indian story about The White Wolf And The Black Wolf.

I hope you don't mind but I'm going to plagiarise your 'parable' and post it in ...

Resident joker - not to be taken too seriously ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • zakblood
  • pollyanna1052
    ordered Billy Connolly`s biography. Great fella 
  • damagedlad71
    damagedlad71 Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    That is one of the truest things I’ve read in a very long time :)
    thank you for sharing ??
  • HollyGCat
    HollyGCat Community member Posts: 79 Pioneering
    @zakblood your post is awesome and I am hoping you don’t mind if I copy it to another thread for CPTSD, having sat awake struggling in a hole all night at 0530, I was searching for something...your post helped me tremendously. Thank you 
  • zakblood
  • healthnut
    healthnut Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    That is a wonderful story that warms the heart. Everything may seem hopeless and dark when you are "alone", or stuck in some hole, but help may be close by.
  • zakblood
    helps always there, it just takes time to find it, and yourself to go looking, as nobody comes to you, you have to go research and grab what you can, as the system in place is there to grind you done, so your on your own, but somewhere there's help, you just need to survive long enough to find out where, then take it, if you first don't succeed, try, try again, then again, then again, in the end it's worth it, no matter how far they try and bury you, take a shovel and just keep trying to dig yourself out of the whole they kicked you into,...
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @healthnut! Please do let us know if we can do anything to help! :)
    Scope

Brightness