Can a vehickle be classed as an aid — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can a vehickle be classed as an aid

boriswho
boriswho Community member Posts: 180 Courageous
If not do you know why not?
If this question has already been asked..
Could you direct me to this thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    No because people without a disability use vehicles all the time.

2.1.21 For the purpose of the PIP assessment, aids and appliances may be everyday objects, but whether they are considered as aids in any particular case depends on how the claimant uses the object compared to how (if at all) it might typically be used by someone with no relevant impairment. Where the object would usually or normally be used in the same way by someone without any limitation in carrying out the relevant activity, it is unlikely to be considered an aid or appliance.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @boriswho - I'm going a little bit off-topic here, for which I apologise...

I did intend to mention the fact that 'mobility' is slightly different to a lot of the daily living descriptors.'Moving around' assesses whether you can get up and move a particular distance aided or unaided. So, if I read this correctly, if you can get up and reliably move a certain distance to wouldn't make any difference whether you used a walking stick, or frame etc.

What I've now confused myself about, and I apologise in advance if I confuse you and everyone else, is this:-

My late Mum had really bad arthritis and could barely walk. She could get up, with a bit of difficulty, and use her mobility scooter to whizz around the town (which was brilliant as she could get out and see her friends.)

Had she applied for PIP then she would have scored 0 points for mobility because she could get up move 200metres either aided/unaided.

This can't be right surely - so what am I failing to understand?

@ilovecats ??
  • poppy123456
    @cristobal no, that's not correct. The moving around part takes into consideration a person ability to stand and move, aided or unaided outside, on flat even ground. Pavements are included in this.

It doesn't include a persons ability to stand and transfer into a wheelchair or similar device. Individuals who require a wheelchair or similar device to move a distance should not be considered able to stand and move that distance.

If your mum couldn't walk 20 metres regularly, reliably, without pain and discomfort then she would have scored 12 points in activity 12E.

Boris asked about the use of a vehicle (car) this activity doesn't include this for the reason i gave above.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • cristobal
    edited August 2019
    Thanks @poppy123456.... I realised that a car isn't an aid which why I apologised for going off topic a bit...

It probably doesn't matter - certainly not to my Mum bless her - but I wonder if the DWP guidance might have just been badly written? 

According to the their guidelines an aid can include, "wheelchairs to replace mobilising" 

Yet, as you correctly say, the guidelines under 'moving around' wouldn't consider transferring to a wheelchair etc..

So I'm struggling to see how anyone can use a wheelchair as an aid - the guidance clearly says that it's an aid but then equally clearly says that it's not considered under mobility?

Don't worry, unless there's something fundamental that I'm missing - I'll probably confuse people in addition to myself...

I'll file this along with the other mobility stuff such as finding your way around, for which I scored points and still have absolutely no idea why!
  • cristobal
    Thanks @ilovecats - your explanation makes a lot of sense.

Unfortunately it's seems to completely contrary to the DWP guidelines

Do you mind if I ask if you remember where the distinction between 'aids' and 'appliances', and the fact that using an appliance is not 'reliable' comes from? 

[Just to say, as I hope you realise, that I'm genuinely interested and would like to understand - I don't mean to point the finger and say 'You're wrong!' - more of a polite enquiry]

Maybe you could message me if you don't mind - but no bother if not....

• cristobal
    @ilovecats - thanks.

I'm guessing what has happened is that someone at DWP (possibly someone who used to make the tea and sweep up!) wrote the guidelines, and someone at Capita used these guidelines to write some different guidelines, and train assessors. Consequently they don't say what the law says, which can be unfortunate.

Thanks for your time....

PS I intend no disrespect to someone who makes the tea - they provide a valuable service...

• boriswho
    @both of you thankyou for your input. this maybe of some consequence
    1. If i put a descriptor in my application stating moving around "it varies" i now have to explain these variations. which i have not done very well, and the tribunal made a decision based on the questions asked. I gave and offered no verbal explanation to this or the effects of the line of questioning but just tried to be honest.

• increases of randomized pain or exacerbations caused by walking anywhere up & down curbs(is a kerb not a gradient?) should i be explaining what even the slightest gradient does? or that stairs to get outside caused a flare up in the knee before i even got outside.
    • the variates of severity of the exacerbation when i have a give in either knee or ankle, should i rate this on a scale 1-10 in my two week diary? should i push myself trying to do 0-20mtrs or to 200mtrs and put myself through more intense pain over 2 weeks whilst writing the diary symtoms( i dont think i should have to when i already know the outcome)
    • how long an exacerbation lasts? mild moderate or severe ? how long each instance lasts?
    • the severity of aching on good & bad days - that good days can quickly turn to a bad days quite quickly by the effects my condition & symptoms or that which i experience 
    • the effects of walking repeatedly upto 20 or 50 or 200 meters should i just call it 0 to 200 meters
    • Also should there be a description of average days?
    • should i not also include symtoms in the home before i leave to move around outdoors but inside say a supermarket after driving there. should the description be outside on the flatest pavement avoiding kerbs or even the slightest gradient? to show even without the gradients how im affected and that its not just walking rising or declining surfaces that severly exacerbate symptoms or that it is more of a matter of time over distance increasing symptoms - or that its the gradients that are even more seen more then kerbs id say.(where i live anyhow)
    • that i avoid repeatedly mobilising upto 200 meters becasue of the issues posed.
    • am i expected to just use a wheelchair and accept that im knackered and just give up? should i have an aid ie a walking stick i dont think so i tried 2 sticks from hospital last year these affected my wrists arms shoulders painfully.
    • should i try to explain in percantages maybe this will be transparent enough
    • should just goto the vets and say ive had enough just put me out of this misery

oh hopnestly i cant be bothered anymore my heads battered. I wont give in so easy tho its not in my nature as you can see.

its extremly difficult to get down into words that cant be taken out of context...the effects that ive been trying to provide with written explanations of this so far have failed, to which i cannot verbally do very well due to pressure i feel is exerted when questioned in 1 on 1 situations or 1 on 3 in a tribunal my partner was told not to speak she was asked at the end if she had anything to say but she just said how it had affected me mentally. Sorry but im just not a people person any more I dont like people. its nothing personal id rather just put it down on paper.
    so im trying to get it down on paper clear as day that i can not reapeadly walk 0 - 200 meters with out severe pain that stops me in my tracks, and this has a lasting after effect and that the effects of more severe instances of a give which cause a limp which then has an effect on the opposit leg causing that one to deteriate quickly whilst that limp eases slightly over a period of say 4 days and im now able to use that knee again without severe pain but the opposit leg that has been overburdened for 4 days is now showing the same symptoms as the innitial knee that gave in the 1st place placing met in  almost a constant loop.
    these are not the only issues i have with my muscular skeletal system but ones that should be relevant to moving around.
    I have lots of ammunition so to speak just keep trying to extract it you clever people. i can recall many journeys outdoors that i could get accurately measure  to the point of a give or severe exacerbation of my painful knees
  • boriswho
    Q3c extra information preparing food.
    ⦁ my conditions affect me preparing me food by the following
    I. I experience sharp stabbing pains in the knees(with instances of giving way) stopping me in my tracks. , ankles (with instances of giving way rhs)stopping me in my tracks. ,and sharp stabbing like pains with my lower back stopping me in my tracks. 
    II. A deep neck ache that rises exponentially  with leaning forwards prepare food to the point of causing a defening ringing like tinnitus in my ears. 
    III. sitting down peeling and cutting vegtables is difficult with  pain & stiffness in my hands causing sharp stabbing pains preventing me from completeing the task efficiently or safely. My lower back becomes stiff and painful when sitting also. My knees ache deeply. 
    ⦁ I manage by eating simple meals or snacks have nothing until my partner returns from work. I should not take my medication without food becasue of side effects experienced
    ⦁ 10 to 15 minutes cooking simple meals providing my knees or ankles dont give way or I do not eat till my partner returns from work or eat out providing i have the money and fuel to do so. 
    ⦁ this does affect me differently throughout the day monings are generally stiff and aching which has eased up by lunchtime somewhat with medication and physiotherapy, between lunchtime and  teatime im generally very tired from overexertion ( A good day can turn into a Bad day through further injury to my knees when they have given way which exacerbates knee pain) and  looking after my son when my partner is at work and  I need to have a sleep usually between lunchtime and teatime
    I. these issues do vary on average  I normally experince  5 bad days on average with little small releif from any of my conditions during the good days
    ⦁ I cant prepare a meal standing up its very painful, i cant do this sitting down its very painful. I have difficulty cooking a meal as standing causes alot of discomfort and pain this is a problem when my partner is at work, she has to prepare and cook mine and our childs  as I cannot do it becasue of the pain ful issues listed on page 8, 33, 34.
    ⦁ I experience sharp stabbing pains in the knees, ankles and fingers and thumbs, lower back, and a worsening of deep acheing pain in the neck (causing severe ringing in the ears) with the exponentially worsening ache in my neck, and knees,ankle and lower back.
    ⦁ I need help from my partner preparing and cooking food, I do not get this help when my partner is at work.
    I. My kitchen is ill prepared for someone with my difficulties I only have two small cupboards to store items in everything else is below waist height forcing the need to bend over which exacerbates lower back painful back symtoms.
  • boriswho
    Q15 additional information:

Health conditions and affects when.
    1. Ankle RHS pain & instability: 
    I. This varies and increases with weight bearing activitys with distance over time.
    II. Standing (weight bearing), walking causes an increase in  pain, or painful random gives that are more frequent the further I travel.
    III. discomfort & pain is experienced when walking in the range of upto 20 meters this slows me to around 50 percent walking speed at a reduced capacity to freely move without sharp pains or discomforting cracking catching of the joint forcing me to load the opposit leg with alot of weight which in turn reduces its capacity over time. 
    IV. More painful stabbing like sensations increase with distance upto 50 meters stopping me for a moment I can push through the discomfort and pain to keep moving as stopping can have a negative effect to the joint, and also my lower back and neck through having to sit down.
    V. A give in the ankle worsens the above over these distances significantly by at least 25% more or more depending on severity of the pain during the give and afterwards additionally my knees are affected after a give is experienced. a moderate ache later in the day.

VI. walking up to 200 meters these issues above worsen & stop me in my tracks forcing me to stop completely and need to sit additionally instability is experienced more often when i travel upto this distance episodes of  pains that radiate down the  bones in and around in my ankle & foot. causes a severe ache later in the day.

VII. A very uncomfortable feeling of the ankle catching also painful cracking inside the ankle joint when sitting doing rom exersizes

VIII. . During sharp pains the ankle gives out.

IX. Sitting driving holding the accelerator to maintain speed or repetative movement of the accelerator causes an increased  deep ache.

X. Upon rising from seated position there is an increase in pain innitially upon weight bearing then thereafter as each step is taken sharp pains become a limp followed by a give with increased pain and offloading weight to my stronger leg causing issues similar to the right side. 

XI. steps stairs and even slight gradients also make a massive difference to pain experienced also increase sharp pains severely and make me stumble often going up or down increasing chance of falling this. however also this happens on flat surfaces mutilplied by over disance time.

all the above sypmtoms cause opposit sided similar less severe issues as well as the gives in the rhs ankle affecting the knees and more painful episodes where i travel further forcing me to sit down.

additionally when the right sided ankle has the above issues through more active periods becomes moreof weight bearing painful for a period of say 2 days the other sided knee & ankle becomes more problematic
    although the ankle(LHS) has not been as severe it does pose similar issues indicating similar injury becasue of my fall from height weight transferance.

• boriswho
    Lower back pain loss & loss of range of movement and pain
    1. Additionally during more severe instances I experience limited range of movements because of severity of the pain rendering me unable to move without severe discomfort and pain.
  • boriswho
    Summary
    unfortunately due to the stockastic nature of the issues Ive been experiencing accross varying parts of my body its been very difficult for me to pin down exactly the symptoms durations & durations of exacerbations of the injurys and still is difficult for me to explain hopefully you will understand and put an award in place for me due simply not being able to mobilise as an normal person would be able. with the same injurys but without the degenerative condition
    as stated previously a fall from height caused:
    a. fractures talus bone right ankle
    b. menisucs tears bilaterally from mri scan laid upon OA of the right knee.
    c. A widespread degenerative condition in the right knee.
    d. The symptom ive sexperiences with the left sided lower limbs that are identical to the right sided lower limbs indicating the same problems with the left sided limbs limiting my ability to move around of that of a+b 
    e. whiplash injury sustained has caused severe neck ache issues 
    f. severe lower back pain loss of ROM from another carrying injury sustained at work some 20 years ago. with long term suffering

• boriswho
    oops sorry wrong thread

• boriswho
    OK so I had to do some pizza delivery last night because of shortage of money for food 
    I help a takeaway that I used to work for who phone me often when they're short of staff done 10 deliverys of made 1 pound per delivery got 3 and pound in tips over a period of 3 hours  all of my delivery were on the ground floor houses with average walking distance from my car to they're front door of 6.5 meters per drop there. I experienced several mild to moderate flares of knees ankle. Not stopping me completely but the now
    After effect s today all mainly exacerbated symptoms lower limbs knees ankle  of aching sharp stabbing like pains & blunt like pains of "hitting your thumb with a hammer gently" walking a few meters around the home is now making these pains moderate to severe. Stopping me I'm my tracks forcing a sit down which is worsening back stiffness as well as neck.

• cristobal
    @boriswho - you've gone round in a circle again! You're on the third lap now...

How about this? 

When you fill in you application you have one page with whats wrong with you, diagnoses etc. Fill this in.

Once you've done that, forget about it. Completely forget about your ankle, leg, teared meniscus, cracking noises, scans, triple knee replacements, X-rays, They have little relevance to PIP so don't write about it ever again! Never!

Then read and understand the PIP descriptors as you've been advised many many times.

You end up with something like this:-

"I am unable to prepare a meal without sitting down as my condition make my leg so painful that I cannot stand for more than one or two minutes. I have stool in the kitchen which I sit at in order to prepare vegetables etc etc....I have to do this for every meal. I have tried to manage without a stool but the pain due to standing became too much so I had to stop cooking completely and lie down in order to rest my leg. I've tried to manage without sitting several times - the most recent was two weeks ago. One one occasion ( about a month ago) my knee gave way and I fell."

This will score 2 points as you need an aid to cook (or it would do if I hadn't just made it up!)

Repeat for the other descriptors.

Important - I don't believe anyone on here doubts that you have problems with your legs. Don't mention them anymore - concentrate on what you can and can't do!
  • JulieTuesday
    JulieTuesday Community member Posts: 51 Connected
    Hi, I find this thread interesting as I have an assessor coming to do a f2f at my home next week.  I can walk without pain but I have a balance issue which makes me have fallen and the balance issue is caused by permanent damage to my vestibular in my inner ear after an ear operation. It is a standard problem with the type of operation and especially as I had and further serious infection which damaged inside my inner ear. So my question is although I'm not in pain when I walk I can have falls (and do) and I've lost my confidence walking now so I don't go out, how do I explain that to the assessor because I can walk 20 metres without pain but could wobble and fall within 20 metres?  I filled in my pip form saying I can wobble and fall at anytime but I'm not in pain, I think I've done that wrong now? I do use a stick to walk if I go in my garden.  :/

• JulieTuesday
    OK and thank you lovecats, I will do that.  :)
  • boriswho
    should i request a home visit
  • JulieTuesday
    Dear Boris, I didn't ask for a home visit and didn't want one either. I feel like it's an invasion of my privacy I'm am not looking forward to it at all.  I put on my PIP 2 form that I can visit an assessment centre as long as there is a lift. I was surprised to get this. :(
  • JulieTuesday
    Thank you lovecats. I have had Asthma attacks in the past so could be this reason, although Asthma is not my main reason for asking for some help.  :|

• poppy123456
    boriswho said:
    should i request a home visit
    For this you'll need a letter from your GP stating the reasons why you can't attend an assessment centre. Also as you're able to go out then this could very likely go against you for a home assessment.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.