Can a vehickle be classed as an aid - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can a vehickle be classed as an aid

2»

Comments

• boriswho
    boriswho Community member Posts: 180 Courageous
    Matilda said:
    This is just by way of info about why people are awarded PIP points, which might help those applying for PIP, asking for mandatory reconsideration and appealing to a tribunal.

To qualify for points, your disabilities only have to affect you seriously enough for more than 50% of the time, i.e. at least four days a week.

After assessment I was awarded 11 points for daily living - all of those because I had difficulty undertaking/completing tasks even using aids.  2 points each for bathing, dressing, using the toilet, preparing food, taking nutrition and 1 point for taking medication.  In other words, you should get points for having difficulty doing things even with the help of aids.

Tribunal gave me 2 extra points for food prep because for more than 50% of the time I would need someone to help me.

Disability Rights (DR) site has a good guide to all aspects of PIP, including the list of descriptors, and a draft diary which you can adapt.  I recommend submission of a 7-day diary with your PIP application.

For getting around mobility the criteria are:

Unable to walk before needing to stop and rest:

Up to 20m aided or unaided  12 points

20m-50m aided   10 points

20m-50m unaided   8 points

You are allowed to walk farther in each category and still qualify if you are struggling because of pain, stiffness, instability or fatigue.

Some people have reported losing getting around points because they said, for example, they couldn't walk more than 50m without aids but aids allowed them to walk more than 50m.  Remember that you won't get qualifying points if you can walk more than 20m or 50m as the case may be, regardless of aids - unless the reliability criteria of pain, stiffness, instability or fatigue apply.

Assessors and tribunals probably will ask for how long, not how far, you an walk.  Always say it takes you X time to walk Y meters.  Just stating for how long is open to very wide interpretation.

• boriswho
    The 2200 meter trek certainly wrecked me for at least 50% of that week in May - I don't do it any more .
    I'm going to do it before my next assessment however
  • boriswho
    I think even if I had not pushed myself that day and had done 1000 meters or 500 meter this would have had the same effect.
    I was off the planet with the drugs I was taking during this time probably helping me accomplish this.
  • boriswho
    unless the reliability criteria of pain, stiffness, instability or fatigue apply.
  • boriswho
    My knees experience a give randomly
  • boriswho
    Am I right in think I cannot do 20 50 or 200 reliably repeatedly or safely apply
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger

Assessors and tribunals probably will ask for how long, not how far, you an walk.  Always say it takes you X time to walk Y meters.  Just stating for how long is open to very wide interpretation.

@matilda - it's good you pointed this out.

Since the descriptor is assessed on how far you can walk 'reliably' i.e. safely, and within a reasonable time then asking how long you walked for without asking how far you went is completely pointless. It will tell the assessor absolutely nothing.

If you walked for an hour it might sound like you are pretty mobile - but not if you only went a mile.

Conversely if you could only walk for a minute - that doesn't sound good but if you covered 100m and could walk back after a rest then you'd score 0 points.

I have only had one assessment but my assessor really struggled with this and asked quite a lot of meaningless questions.

"Can you walk as far as the church" (it's up a steep hill)

"How far was it from the car park? Could you see your car?" (don't know what this was about - I couldn't see my car because it was round a corner! How far can you see anyway?)

I fully agree with your advice. 

Before an assessment get a good idea of the distance that you can walk 'reliably' and then if the assessor wants to play guessing games just stick to your guns.

• boriswho
    I think I've misunderstood questions at tribunal 

• cristobal
    boriswho said:
    Am I right in think I cannot do 20 50 or 200 reliably repeatedly or safely apply
    Boris - if I understand you correctly your query is with the 'reliability' test - safely, good standard, reasonable time, repeatably...

This applies to everything.

It's easy to show with walking  - generally an accepted average walk is 3MPH so if you can't manage half of this then that's not 'timely'.

Be careful though because DWP have come up with a lot lower figure (which I can't remember now}

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    boriswho said:
    The 2200 meter trek certainly wrecked me for at least 50% of that week in May - I don't do it any more .
    I'm going to do it before my next assessment however
    I wouldn't advise you do this. For the assessment just be yourself, tell the truth and be honest.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • boriswho
    Why would you say that poppy.
  • boriswho
    They need to see me having difficulties
  • boriswho
    Cristobal- my walk deteriorated quickly walking so the start speed certainly wouldn't be the end speed if not stopped completely.
  • cristobal
    Further to my last post I've found this in the DWP guidelines....

the walking speed which is deemed within a reasonable time period is 30 metres per minute.

It doesn't seem accurate - it's incredibly slow - but it's useful to know the guideline (even if it is wrong!)
  • boriswho
    1/2 meter per second. Wow
    What about reliably. 

• cristobal
    Boris ''reliably" means all of - safely, timely, repeatable, to a good standard....

Have a look at the DWP guidelines - it's all explained there...

Poppy gave you the link a couple of days ago ...
  • cristobal
    @boriswho - when you say "they need to see me having difficulties" I genuinely don't think half-killing yourself on a 2km trek, after all the difficulties you've explained, is a good thing...

Be honest - if you need to cripple yourself the day before to get PIP it's not worth it.

Just my opinion...
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
  • boriswho

Thanks so much Cristobal.
    O know there's too much info my head hurts when I look at it I go dizzy. 
    I think.. 
    I'm never going to pass on timely unless I experience the give which is too random. I'm slowed somewhat but I don't think it's as low as 1/2 meter per second unless I've stopped for a moment.
    Repeatedly I would satisfy as effects during and mainly afterwards on all the distances specified are severe in my mind as I need to rest very often and get tired easily, As the effects are very painful.
    Safely well gives don't actually make me fall they just mainly stop me on one leg as its rare for both to go at the same time. But it's certainly becoming a possibility as both legs are very weak and niggly now I need to exercise but can't walk far repeadedly. I've just about got my pain under some sort of control this has taken along time. 
    Im going to test next 7 days walking and record with my diary that someone supplied on my other post.

I'm trying to recall the 2200 meter time I'm sure it was 45 minutes each way give or take 10 - 15  minutes 

Calculators at the ready ..... ??

• cristobal
    @boriswho - would you be best putting everything on the back burner for a few days whilst your head clears?

Forget about PIP, and do something nice.

Switch off for a week or so - then come back to it fresh ...

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.