Refused a letter and information by my consultant. He is still of the understand DWP contact him. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Refused a letter and information by my consultant. He is still of the understand DWP contact him.

Lorraine01
Lorraine01 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited August 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have had heart bypasses, stents ect since 2010. I am still having heart issues. My consultants scretary told me first the he refuses to do a letter. DWP contact him. After speaking to his secretary again now a shamles and in tears she agreed to speak with him again. I had a email tonight attached was the last letter my consultant wrote to me....not very informative. Since then i have had the heart put under stress. Yet again my gp and the hospital has not sent me a report or findings about this. I really do not know what to do about this.....this is one of my main health conditions. Can they refuse? Please help.

Comments

• Lorraine01
    I spoke to his secretary, his secretarty emailed him.....his response was DWP contacts him so no. I explained to his secretary its all changed now so tonight i recieved a email with a letter back in May with not a lot of info on and not up-to-date. I have had heart bypasses, stents and then more stents as my body rejected them. I am so worried as my heart and long term ongoing issues with it is one of my main health issues. Please help. I dont think i have any hair left. Pointless phoning back up
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,324 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

You can request your medical records from your GP. It's free to receive digital copies but any paper copies you require then it's possible you'll be charged for those. There maybe something in those you could use.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    I recently sent in my PIP claim and it did say in the notes that GP letters are not required, if there`s a cost. don`t get them. They will contact them if needed.
  • poppy123456
    The reason why they say this regarding GP letters is because they aren't the best evidence to send. A GP very rarely knows how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors.

They very rarely contact anyone for any evidence, the onus is on the claimant to make sure evidence is sent.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lorraine01 and a warm welcome to the community! I hope this has answered your question. If you need help with anything else then please do let us know :)
    Scope

• Lorraine01
    Thank you all. Its all a complete nightmare......Not just for me :-(
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    edited August 2019
    Hi this is standard practice for a consultant. In my experience they would happily complete dwp forms with info from medical notes but not sure if they would write a letter from a request from a patient. Also they can only talk about your state of health from the last time they saw the patient. I think the secretary was trying to be helpful by sending the letter from your notes. Your GP should have received a letter after your procedure so could you get a copy of that?
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Hi @Lorraine01
    I just wanted to echo what @poppy123456 said. I hope your claim is successful, but if you do go to appeal and the tribunal think there is not enough medical evidence, they can request it. I have been to tribunals with people where this has happened. They can postpone the hearing until they get the information.
    @pollyanna1052 is also right. Don't pay for information. The DWP can ask for it if they need it.
    Good luck with your claim!
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    Yes DWP can ask for evidence but this rarely happens. It's the claimants responsibility to prove they qualify and not DWP.
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    @poppy123456 is right, it is rare! It is usually at the appeal level that information is requested.
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • Lorraine01
    Thank you all for your replies. I had my assesment at home today. It lasted 2hrs 20mins. Plus two people arrived not one. I am so glad my carer was there for support. I ended up totaly confused and shut down mentally. Just far to much
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @Lorraine01. That was quite a long one! I'm sorry it was so hard for you and I'm glad you had your carer there to support you. How are you feeling today?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • gruber
    gruber Posts: 29 Listener
    Hi @Lorraine01
    I just wanted to echo what @poppy123456 said. I hope your claim is successful, but if you do go to appeal and the tribunal think there is not enough medical evidence, they can request it. I have been to tribunals with people where this has happened. They can postpone the hearing until they get the information.
    @pollyanna1052 is also right. Don't pay for information. The DWP can ask for it if they need it.
    Good luck with your claim!
    I believe that the system for obtaining medical records has changed. The Tribunal will ask you to get them and send them to the Tribunal - the Tribunal no longer do the work for you.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.