IR ESA and now PIP. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

IR ESA and now PIP.

Jurph
Jurph Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
Hello!

Some great news today - I won my PIP tribunal. I have been awarded Standard Care and Enhanced Mobility (back dated 18 months!)

I have been getting Income related ESA for 2 years at the Support Group rate.

I wondered if I need to do anything? Do I need to contact ESA to tell them I now have PIP? 

I have no bills as I live with my parents (I'm over 25) but wondered what else I get? I'm confused by the premiums.

I know I can get a blue badge now and get free tax for my car.

Thanks

Comments

• Jurph
    Thanks @Hart86 I must heave read it wrong.

They both work full time but my mum's currently on Statutory Sick Pay.

So just the PIP rates and my ESA? My ESA is £128.45 before the PIP decision and I can't work out where that figure comes from.
  • Jurph
    That sounds more than logical! Thanks for your help @Hart86

Just wanted to know what I should be getting. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

@Hart86 is spot on here. Thanks Hart!!

You're currently claiming the maximum amount of ESA as there's no other disability premiums available.

For the Blue badge, if you live in England and scored 8 points or more in the moving around part of mobility PIP then this will automatically qualify you. If you score points in following and planning a journey then this doesn't automatically qualify you.

You'll be able to get a CEA card for the cinema which will allow you to take a carer free. Also your PIP award will allow you to take a carer free to many different attraction around the UK.

You will of course need to wait for the decision letter from DWP to arrive before you can claim any of these, including the blue badge.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jurph
    Thanks @poppy123456

I only scored 4 so don't qualify. My council does note that hidden disabilities will be able to apply for badges from 30th August. I'll wait to see what the criteria is.

Thanks again.
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2019
    For the new rules for BB in England coming into affect on 30th August 2019 mean you'll need to score 10 points in activity 11E (following and planning a journey) if you scored points in any other descriptor in this activity you won't be entitled to the BB automatically.

My daughter scored 12 point for following and planning a journey but won't qualify under the new rules. This will apply to all local councils.

As a result of the consultation, automatic entitlement to the Blue Badge will be extended to those in England who score 10 points under the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) mobility test of being "unable to undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant".

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Jurph
    Typical!

High rate mobility and can't get a blue badge  :|
  • poppy123456
    I totally agree but unfortunately PIP mobility is different to what DLA was.
  • Jurph
    It's very confusing.

My 10 points for planning and following doesn't meet the criteria because I got 4 for mobility?
  • poppy123456
    The points need to have been scored in descriptor E not D. There's a big difference between the 2.  Which one did you score the points in?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Jurph, great news about your PIP tribunal! :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Jurph
    The points need to have been scored in descriptor E not D. There's a big difference between the 2.  Which one did you score the points in?
    I scored 10 points in 1D. And 4 points in 2B. So no badge.

• Jurph
    Hi @Jurph, great news about your PIP tribunal! :)

Thank you! It's such a relief. It still hasn't quite sunk in.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.