Who also has one of the underlying cognitive causes of dyslexia — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Who also has one of the underlying cognitive causes of dyslexia

dolfrog
dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
edited October 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
I have the temporal type of Auditory Processing Disorder which is the underlying cognitive cause of my dyslexia symptom.
The Random Gap Detection Test, measures the size of gap between sounds an individual can process, when i did the test back in 2003, it did not include a gap large enough for me to process. This explains why i can not process speech when people talk too fast for me to process the gaps between words, why it it explained my dyslexia symptom as i am not able to process the gaps between the sounds that the letters in a word represent.
There are three cognitive subtypes of developmental dyslexia - auditory, visual, and attentional- which means that an auditory processing disorder, a visual processing disorder, an attention disorder, or any combination of these issues can cause the dyslexia symptom.

Comments

• LaughingLolly
    LaughingLolly Community member Posts: 100 Pioneering
    I  don't really understand what you said but I think I have something similar. The part of my brain that processes sounds and language is 'sick'. I've been trying to convey this a lot this year but didn't know if was a known thing so have felt embarrassed talking about it 
    A laugh a day keeps the psychiatrist at bay. 
  • dolfrog
    I  don't really understand what you said but I think I have something similar. The part of my brain that processes sounds and language is 'sick'. I've been trying to convey this a lot this year but didn't know if was a known thing so have felt embarrassed talking about it 
    Auditory Processing Disorders are a listening disability, the brain having problems processing the sounds that the ears hear. 
    There are 4 types of auditory processing disorder.
    1) those who have problems identifying a target sound when there are low levels of background noise, which is sometimes called "speech in noise". 
    2) The temporal type of APD, is about having problems processing the gaps between sounds which can include the gaps between words in rapid speech, and is the main underlying cognitive cause of developmental dyslexia, or having problems decoding and recoding the visual notation of speech or the graphic symbols society chooses to represent the sounds of speech ( we use the Latin Alphabet). This can make following conversations difficult, especially when others talk too fast or use unfamiliar words. word recall problems can be another issue.
    3) Spatial auditory processing disorder is about having problems identifying the location of a sound source.
    4)Amblyaudia is about the brain processing waht one ear hears better or worse then processing what the other ear hears, which part of dichotic listening. 

Having a poor auditory memory can be an issue, as can having working memory issues which can be causes by the stress and tiring work of running alternative compensating skills and abilities to work around these types of communication limitations. 
  • dolfrog
    I hope this helps explain dyslexia.
    Dyslexia is a man made problem concerning decoding and recoding the visual notation of speech, or the graphic symbols society chooses to represent the sounds of speech.
    Dyslexia is language dependent.
    There are two types of dyslexia. Acquired Dyslexia, also known as Alexia, is caused by brain injury, stroke, atrophy, etc which is concerned with those loosing or have lost the previously acquired skills to decode and recode the visual notation of speech. And Developmental Dyslexia which has a genetic causes. There are three cognitive subtypes of Developmental Dyslexia - Auditory, Visual and Attentional. Which means that an Auditory Processing Disorder, a Visual Processing Disorder, an Attention Deficit / Disorder, or any combination of these issues can cause the Dyslexic Symptom
    So those who are classified as being dyslexic need to identify the underlying cognitive / clinical / medical cause of their dyslexic symptom, so that they can fully understand the nature of their own specific disability, and the limitations it or they impose. And more importantly identify the alternative compensating skills and abilities that they will be best able to access to work around their personal limitations.
    This from my
    "What is Dyslexia?" which also includes some links to supporting research 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    dolfrog said:
    I hope this helps explain dyslexia.
    Dyslexia is a man made problem concerning decoding and recoding the visual notation of speech, or the graphic symbols society chooses to represent the sounds of speech.
    Dyslexia is language dependent.
    There are two types of dyslexia. Acquired Dyslexia, also known as Alexia, is caused by brain injury, stroke, atrophy, etc which is concerned with those loosing or have lost the previously acquired skills to decode and recode the visual notation of speech. And Developmental Dyslexia which has a genetic causes. There are three cognitive subtypes of Developmental Dyslexia - Auditory, Visual and Attentional. Which means that an Auditory Processing Disorder, a Visual Processing Disorder, an Attention Deficit / Disorder, or any combination of these issues can cause the Dyslexic Symptom
    So those who are classified as being dyslexic need to identify the underlying cognitive / clinical / medical cause of their dyslexic symptom, so that they can fully understand the nature of their own specific disability, and the limitations it or they impose. And more importantly identify the alternative compensating skills and abilities that they will be best able to access to work around their personal limitations.
    This from my
    "What is Dyslexia?" which also includes some links to supporting research 
    Thank you for this! 

Brightness