Transitioned to Universal Credit during ESA appeal, only backdated for the ESA duration? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Transitioned to Universal Credit during ESA appeal, only backdated for the ESA duration?

Kaishadows93
Kaishadows93 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi, sorry if I've made errors with my posting (location etc). I've looked all over the internet and can't find any help.

Basically I was in the WRAG on ESA from around 2015 and was reassessed last year. The decision to keep me in the WRAG was made on 29/10/18. I decided to appeal the decision as I felt for years I should have been in the Support bracket (severe epilepsy).

I appealed the decision and I transitioned to UC on 23/11/18 since I moved out of home. I attended a tribunal on 05/08/19 and won. 

I received a letter stating that I have been paid £89.29 in arreas from the period of 29/10/18 to 22/11/18 and nothing mentioned about any arreas from the start of my UC (23/11/18) where I was placed in the LCW group until I won my appeal on 05/08/19.

My question is, am I due any arreas from the start of my UC claim on the 23/11/18 to my eventual win of my appeal on 05/08/19? I was placed in LCW as a result of their intial assessment decision and have now been placed in the UC version of the support group (LCWRA?).

It doesn't make sense that I wouldn't receive any arreas for the time that I was placed in the lower bracket from the start of my transition to UC (23/11/18)

Sorry if this doesn't make sense but I'm really struggling to make sense of everything

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

The arrears you received were from when you were claiming ESA, which is correct because you then claimed UC on 23/11 and your ESA will only be backdated to the date you claimed UC.

UC now have to honour the ESA decision and place you in the relevant group for UC which is LCWRA, once this is done you'll be backdated the money owed to you, which is £336 per month from when you claimed UC.

You need to speak to your case manager and ask them to send a MPG1 form to ESA for your award to be transferred across.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Kaishadows93
    Wow, thanks for the quick reply. I think I understand now. Do you recommend I ring DWP on Monday or do you think leaving a note on my UC Journal would be sufficient?

Again thanks for the reply. I dread to think how bad this must be for people more vulnerable than myself
  • poppy123456
    You’re welcome. I would ring and speak to your case manager because they don’t always answer messages on a journal. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello and a warm welcome to the community @Kaishadows93
    Please let us know how you get on. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Kaishadows93
    I got a PDF letter on my journal  saying I am going to be paid £1644.02 for the period of 23 November to July 22 2019.

I was getting ESA WRAG up until my transition to UC on 23 November and was getting the extra premium since my claim was made before they lowered the amount you'd get for that group. I won my appeal on 05 August and was awarded Limited Capability for Work and Work Related Activity (Support?).

Not entirely sure if this is exactly the right amount but that's what it says in my letter

It says they paid £5786.88 from November 23 to July 22 and the amount owed is £1644.02 after taking away the amount they have already paid me.

Just checking if this seems right as I have no one else I can ask :/
  • poppy123456
    The different between LCW for claims made before April 2017 and LCWRA is £216 per month, therefore in my opinion the amount you're to be paid is correct.
  • Kaishadows93
    Ok thanks for the support Poppy :) citizens advice are great but sometimes they can be quite busy

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.