Medical documents — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Medical documents

sj2493
sj2493 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited August 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Any advice on the following?

Been awarded PIP standard rate for mobility and have asked for a reconsideration on this. In the mean time I sent a large folder of medical documents to aid my application. PIP are saying they received these but weren't scanned on due to the amount of.documents I sent (even though these records are all relevant to my disability) surely this unfair???

Regards

Comments

• sj2493
    Does this sound fair?

Applied for PIP from DLA - awarded mobility standard rate and I've asked for a reconsideration on this. I sent a thick file.of medical documents to support this. Now PIP are saying due to the amount of documents these were effectively ignored and not scanned even though these records all apply to my disability which took nearly 2 months request as a subject access request.

Surely this is grossly unacceptable?
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Unfortunately they do not care. Prepare for a MR and tribunal (read the information here carefully) 
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/appeals/your-hearing/
    Use this tool to type up a letter of appeal 
    https://www.advicenow.org.uk/pip-tool
    Unfortunately negative PIP stories are very common on here. Be honest. Give examples of how your condition affects you. 
  • sj2493
    Does this sound fair?

Applied for PIP from DLA - awarded mobility standard rate and I've asked for a reconsideration on this. I sent a thick file.of medical documents to support this. Now PIP are saying due to the amount of documents these were effectively ignored and not scanned even though these records all apply to my disability which took nearly 2 months request as a subject access request.

Surely this is grossly unacceptable
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, thought they wanted as much evidence as possible? I am also in the DLA - PIP stage. I sent in quite a lot of paperwork too.

They dont look at info on your disability, but how it affects you and what equipment/help you need

Did you have a f2f?
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    The awarding criteria for the two benefits is totally different from each other. DLA was about your illness, diagnosis or disability, whereas PIP is about your abilities to cope manage the activities described in the PIP application form know as the descriptors. So when you apply for PIP you must concentrate on the descriptors not your disability, diagnosis or the medication you take but include these in your application. 

• cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @sj2493 - As other posters have said it may be that sending a 'a thick file of medical documents' hasn't worked out well..

Would you be better being more selective and only sending stuff that was relevant to the specific difficulties that you have with your mobility? If the file was a bit thinner it might ensure that it would be read and taken into account...

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    I remember the form notes telling us they dont want anything about our disabilities printed from the internet.
  • sj2493
    This was all records from what the NHS/orthopaedic have on me personally, nothing off the internet.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    Sending in mountains of evidence isn't the best idea because they won't have time to read through everything. Less is often more and reading through all your evidence and deciding which to send is always the better option.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.