Can I fly with chiary malformation??? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I fly with chiary malformation???

beckyboo83
beckyboo83 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
hi completely new here ... I've been diagnosed with a chiary malformation and a rather large cyst in my spinal canal . I have many many questions but the 1st I need to ask is am I able to fly with this condition? My consultation was abit of a blur as I wasn't expecting this... so I didn't think to ask ,, but I'm due to fly out on a much needed family holiday. Am I being really silly? I do t really have any symptoms (any that effect my day to day life anyway) anyone tat can shed a light would be so much appreciated 
thank you 

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @beckyboo83 and a warm welcome to the community.
    There's a bit of information about being able to fly with charity malformation here which seems to indicate you can. However, as we're not medical experts here, you'd be better off speaking to a medical professional about your concerns.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • beckyboo83
    beckyboo83 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you so much x
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @beckyboo83! I hope you are able to get more information from your doctor about this. Where are you wanting to fly to? :)
    Scope

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi beckyboo83, I've just joined, & as I have an interest in neurological conditions looked here first, but certainly not expecting someone with Chiari 1 Malformation to have posted! I'm a member of the following facebook group which you may find an additional resource if you search there for 'Chiari Malformation UK.' Some members seem to have suffered an increase in symptoms when flying, & others none at all. The main bit of advice seems to be to stay hydrated during any flight. You don't describe any symptoms (& indeed you can have this but not have symptoms, or have many). Much of the information on Chiari 1 Malformation is out of date here in the UK on conventional sites but those living with this may be of more help. Should you wish to discuss your diagnosis with your GP in the future I would suggest you recommend the 'Chiari & Syringomyelia Foundation' USA-based website to him/her as hopefully your GP will have more time to discuss this with you.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Thank you for this information @chiarieds, and a very warm welcome to the community!

Is there anything we can do to help?
    Scope

• Chloe_Scope
    Thank you for sharing your experiences with us @Chobbly :smile:
    Scope

Brightness