Hoping to hear your experiences with PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hoping to hear your experiences with PIP

Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
A producer at the Victoria Derbyshire Programme is hoping to put together a discussion on PIP payments following the awful passing of Stephen Smith. They're hoping to hear from people who have had awful experiences with PIP payments – either having had them removed and then replaced, lost them and had to struggle without the benefit, or been with a loved one who has lost their PIP payment and then sadly gone on to pass.
They are hoping to put together a panel on their show next Thursday with a diverse cast of case studies who might be able to share their own individual experiences. The programme is based in London, but transport can be arranged.

If you're interested in taking part, please get in touch with Charlie Haynes (charlie.haynes@bbc.co.uk)
Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• cookieallie
    cookieallie Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hello.

I finally received PIP in December. I was so pleased as been on lower benefit for several years as my condition does not have a cure and received the higher allowance due to mobility being far worse and not able to go out without a carer.

So I get enhanced amount. I am losing it though.My council decided that they are now assessing our ability to pay for care. This video explains what they are doing.

So they are now taking over half of my enhanced amount fo pay for care. I now have to pay 250 a month for care, which means I cannot afford to get the scooter we have looked at. Is it fair that they can take half of the money? I thought I was given it to have a better quality of life and to be able to manage costs better. It seems like it goes from one Gov department that is paying the allowance to another gov department that is charging for care so really, the benefit is not what is seems. Others are affected too.

Can they take it from me for this reason? Till now the councils mandate is to pay for care, they are trying to claw back money though as they have overspent yet - the council members got a raise in expenses!! After finally being successful to get the higher allowance and have it taken away, feel I am being punished for having a disability yet again among all the other battles faced, just one thing I did not want. Confused.

Alison
  • emilyjane15
    emilyjane15 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Tell you something that should be pointed out on the show. Disabled people being degraded having to go into detail if there bowel or bladder troubles to strangers for money to survive and surviving is by a thread.
    I mean there's ticking a box stating you have these issues and showing a medical note to confirm you do is one thing and hard enough but to have to go into detail about it and give an example like if you can wipe your bum or if you wet the bed and things like this isn't fair at all.
    So maybe the non disabled should have to go through these questions as well at interviews for there employment to see if they score enough to be employed to get there money too. Why not?? I mean I'm sure mcdonalds would like to know if there employee is capable of wiping there own back side before holding food. 
    Well maybe not them as there food is plop but 5 star resteraunts should eh.
  • emilyjane15
    www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/dying-man-been-told-dwp-16225845

Contact manchester evening news and try to get hold of this poor man who is on the path to ending up like Stephen Smith. It's a very simular case
  • emilyjane15
    www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/dying-man-been-told-dwp-16225845
  • emilyjane15
    I don't know why it won't open but its a man on the evening news webpage who is very simular to stephen and has had his money all stopped.
  • emilyjane15
    This dying man has been told by the dwp he is fit for work and had all benefits stopped is the title if you want to search it up on Manchester evening news web page. 
  • emilyjane15
    Daryll Nicholson aged 47 from Newcastle 
  • cookieallie
    cookieallie Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I found it. Thank you EmilyJane, just read it. That is awful. I have no right to complain then, I am better off than he is and will be grateful for what I get. I am happy to pay towards my care that was never the issue, just that they took half of it and the scooter is not possible saddens me and yet fortunate to have what I have. Makes you think. I feel so sad for the poor man, I think I saw him on Television once?

• Adrian_Scope
    edited May 2019
    Thank you everyone for sharing what you have. Just to reiterate: if you're interested in taking part in this programme, please get in touch Charlie Haynes (charlie.haynes@bbc.co.uk)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    @cookieallie We all have a right to complain if we've been treated poorly and/or not received what we should receive.
  • chrissyh59
    chrissyh59 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I find it hard to talk to anyone about my incontinence but I just have to. I've got my PIP assessment in a couple of weeks. They have given me a home visit which I didn't ask for, but that's better for me really. I'm hoping to move over to PIP from DLA. Fingers crossed ?
  • sheZZa
    sheZZa Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
    @Adrian_Scope
    Sorry for the stupid question but I would like to contact Charlie. Do I contact him via this page or do I email/text him with the name you have given? 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @sheZZa. The best way to get in contact with Charlie is just through his email address (charlie.haynes@bbc.co.uk) as he's okay to be contacted directly.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • sheZZa
    sheZZa Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I fought the decision with the help of the amazing social worker. She looked at the form to check where I had transposed numbers before I posted it at my local post office. When the assessment report came in the mail I was shocked to find a number of inaccuracies embedded into the report. My son’s amazing social worker also read the report.
    We were not impressed by their poor literacy skills. Seriously the whole report had a number of spelling mistakes and was a joke. 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Only just seen this thread.
    PIP is a big issue for me too.
    I am 66, been disabled for 20 years..on DLA enhanced for 19 years and now have to justify my need for PIP.
    I am a full time wheelchair user, need hoisting for every transfer and carers for all personal care, plus hubby to look after me.
    Didnt want or expect my life to turn out like this.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Thanks for sharing @pollyanna1052. How far through the PIP process are you now?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Adrian, I have my home based f2f on 5th Sept.....not long to wait.....but definitely dreading it!x

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.