accessing Hairdressers — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

accessing Hairdressers

lolahemaltesedoggo
lolahemaltesedoggo Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi all! 

I'm new here, so please excuse me while I learn the ropes, but I do have a burning question for those who are house or bed bound. How do you acsess hairdressers?

The situation is I'm currently living in (very inaccessible) temporary accommodation, and can't use the bath at the moment, as while I'd probably be able to manoeuvre myself in with a chair, I don't have the strength in my arms or legs to get out and have (in the past) been stuck for several hours, well past when water has gone cold, trying to get out.

So as you can imagine I feel... gross.  Because I can't really afford to go to the hairdresser, I've been making do with flannel washes and using dry shampoo, but it's getting beyond what I can handle. God forbid something came up and I had to try to go out looking like this. Currently, I've no support whatsoever, no carers, no nearby family, no friends nearby etc.

So my question is, how do we all go about going to the hairdresser, ideally without leaving the room? I would just go to my normal hairdresser, but it's going to result in a lot of excess pain and sickness, which may or may not lead to me passing out, so  I'd rather not. I  just don't see how a hairdresser could help given I don't have a showerhead or anything they can utilise to give my hair a good wash? Has anyone been in this situation before?

Comments

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Hi when iv been unable to leave my home I call a mobile hairdreser.
    Look on net for hairdressers who will come to.your home. Put in your post code and you should find one....or a couple 
    Good luck
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If you have access to facebook, check your local area on there.

You can also refer yourself to you local social services for a needs assessment, someone will then visit you in your home to carry out an assessment of your needs.

Don't struggle alone, if there's help available. See link for how to refer yourself. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lolahemaltesedoggo and a very warm welcome to the community!

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us and I'm sorry your current housing situation isn't very accessible for yourself. I too would suggest referring yourself as they would be able to help with equipment or support which would enable you to shower safety. 

Please do let us know how you get on and if there is anything else we can do to help. :)
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, I can only go to the hairdressers for a cut...cannot lean either front or backwards over a sink.
    I am also concerned that you have no help.
    Sounds like you would be entitled to carers.

Take the advice from the above. 
    Hope things improve.xx
  • lolahemaltesedoggo
    Hiya! 

Sorry it took me so long to get back to everyone but I've just not felt up to talking until now. Anyways I'm back

I've already had a care act assessment, as well as an OT assessment and another one I can't remember the name of. Everyone agrees I need help and adaptions. The issue we've got is they won't let me have it. The council's argument is because I'm technically homeless and still living in temporary accommodation, they won't put support, help, or aids in place until I've got my own flat, which could be years.

As far as hairdressing goes, I've done a bit of a google. How do mobile hair salons work? I'm living in a tiny hotel room with only cold water atm unless its out the bath tap, but again I can't climb into said bath because we wouldn't be able to get me out. Space might be an issue as well...

I don't know, I thought it was worth asking you guys and you've defo given me food for thought. I think if I can find a mobile hairdresser who can work with the space provided and somehow figure out how to wash my hair, we'd be good.

Any futher suggestions are welcome :) 
  • Chloe_Scope
    That's okay @lolahemaltesedoggo!! Please do keep us updated on how you get on and I hope a mobile hairdresser can help in the meantime!

For housing support, it might be worth ringing Shelter who could help you find more sustainable housing, so support can be put in place.
    Scope

• lolahemaltesedoggo
    For housing support, it might be worth ringing Shelter who could help you find more sustainable housing, so support can be put in place.
    Sadly, shelter can do nothing. I'm on the council list for housing but that could take years. If I leave this accommodation then I lose my place on the list for suitable permeant housing but thank you anyway

I'm off to try and find a hairdresser who can help... so far, no luck :(
  • Chloe_Scope
    I'm sorry to hear this @lolahemaltesedoggo, I'll keep my fingers crossed about the hairdresser!
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    oh dear, such a sad and difficult situation. Best wishes xx
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hopefully you will find a hairdresser soon! Best wishes!
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2019
    Hello @lolahemaltesedoggo   Pleased to meet you sorry to hear what your going through.

Please may I suggest contacting the links provided. Always there for help in a crisis.

Any problems or welfare issues.

https://www.salvationarmy.org.uk.

Helpline 020 7367 4500

https://www.redcross.org.uk.

Might be worth contacting seeing what they can help with.  If you explain your situation. Never know what might happen.

Wish you well.

Take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness