PIP descriptors - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP descriptors

Comments

• Hartley
    Hartley Posts: 114 Courageous
    ilovecats said:
    Former assessor here.

It is INCREDIBLY obvious when CAB have filled out the form because it is normally full of trigger words and outlandish claims of which there is normally zero evidence to back it up.

Furthermore, when the person gets to interview, they normally have no clue and cannot remember what was written on the form and normally their answers are not consistent at all.

Real example
    e.g - Activity 11
    CAB wrote - due to schizophrenia he is unable to go outside due to overwhelming psychological distress and the violent risk he poses to himself and other people of the majority of days because of the negative voices in his head

During interview - my MH condition is well managed now as they finally got my medication right so I’ve been dicharged from the CMHT and my wife is a great help. We go for walks with the dogs as it calms me down when I’m having a bad day. I haven’t heard voices in about 6 months but I know they aren’t real so if I hear them I’ll tell my GP.

By all means get CAB to help you if you don’t understand the form but don’t let them lie on the form for you. Assessors see straight through it.
    So can i ask...where can i find more accurate guidance on how to answer the questions asked.As i am Autistic and do not always understand whats asked and nuance.I tend to see things far deeper than they are ,therefore missing the very meaning of the questions asked.

Any advice would be welcomed as i need to send form back by 31st Aug 2019 
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    edited August 2019
    Sorry I need to correct.

I checked the report again and its 8 for care and 4 for mobility, now the care award is much more than mobility (qualifies for SDP also?), I am not greedy so if the DM rubber stamps it I will not appeal.  However his reasoning for not awarding a second descriptor (related to mobiity) I just noticed, is invalid, his reasoning been I regurly go out for walks or rather exercise as what I do can barely be passed as walking so must not be anxious, he missed out that I do it at 3am to avoid the public and its not regular.

So if the DM rubber stamps it, I still consider it great news, was expecting 0-6 points on both to be honest, but I think I will attempt via a SAR request 'once' to capita to see if I can get the unaudited report as I am curious if any descriptors got downgraded, however I wont take any action based on that report and if the SAR fails I will leave it be.

I have a horrible feeling tho a descriptor will be removed by DM just so I disqualify.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,326 Disability Gamechanger
    It's very rare they go against the report, i think i've only ever heard a couple of stories where this has happened.

For the SDP then you need to be claiming either ESA/JSA Income Related or Income support, live alone or be classed as living alone. Full criteria here. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/severe-disability-premium

If you think you qualify then once you've had the decision if you're awarded daily living then ring either ESA/JSA or Income support and ask to fill out the IS10 form over the phone. Claims take a couple of weeks and you'll receive it from the start of your PIP award.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • worried33
    edited August 2019
    Yeah I get ESA SG with IR topups so I fit that requirement, thanks for responding poppy. I live by myself and no one is registered as carer for me.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,326 Disability Gamechanger
    worried33 said:
    Yeah I get ESA SG with IR topups so I fit that requirement, thanks for responding poppy. I live by myself and no one is registered as carer for me.
    Based on that you'll qualify and the quickest and easiest way to apply is over the phone, if you can do that of course. Once you do claim it then it will mean that any changes of circumstances will disregard you from claiming Universal Credit up until January 2021, so even better news.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • worried33
    edited August 2019
    So I got the text just over 2 weeks ago they had my report, and of course have the report copy here.

Yet the DWP only just sent me a letter to say they have the information they need, has it really took them 2 weeks to pass on the report to a DM waiting pile, or do they just delay these letters to try and artificially shrink the visible waiting time for a DM?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @worried33, this is just an automated letter that has been sent out. The delay would be with the system updating where your report is. :)
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger

Taken from the above link and all assessments are the same, whether it's ESA or PIP.

Should you wish, you may use your own equipment to record the face-to-face consultation. This must be undertaken in line with the following DWP rules:

• You need to notify us before your appointment that you will like to record your assessment by calling our Enquiry Centre on 0808 1788 114.
    • You will need to provide your own audio-recording equipment. Your recording equipment must be able to produce two identical copies of the recording at the end of the assessment, either on audio cassette or CD. Mobile phones and laptops are not suitable mediums for recording assessments.
    • You will need to give one copy of the recording to the assessor, at the end of the appointment.
    • You will need to sign an agreement that sets out what you are and are not allowed to do with the recording.
    • We will retain a copy of the recording for a maximum of 14 months, at which point it will be destroyed. We do not pass on the recordings to the DWP and they are not used in determining your entitlement or award.
    • Should you attempt to record the assessment without having contact us first and agreeing to the above guidelines, then your assessment is likely to be stopped and we may return your case to the DWP.

If the recordings are not passed to DWP and are not used in determining your award.......what is the point in making recordings?
  • worried33
    So you have a audible record of what was said during the assessment.

Even with that policy tho, I expect the assessor knowing they been recorded is perhaps a bit more likely to take verbal supplied evidence seriously as there will be evidence if its ignored.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    "Even with that policy tho, I expect the assessor knowing they been recorded is perhaps a bit more likely to take verbal supplied evidence seriously as there will be evidence if its ignored."

@worried33 - I thought the same as you...but we were both completely wrong....

Having a recording did enable me to get the errors corrected - with a bit of a struggle...
  • worried33
    Well I didnt say it would be a sure thing.
  • cristobal
    @ilovecats - when I listened back to the recording I found that I had said that I drive a manual car (I don't - it's automatic) and that I hadn't seen my GP for a month (I saw her the previous day)...
  • worried33
    edited August 2019
    I lovecats an example would be.

Assessor puts.

I justify this descriptor choice because Mr X says he can do Y and Z.
    Then on the recording it shows Mr X didnt say anything as such.

On my ESA (and IB) assessments on every single assessment the assessor claimed I said something I didnt, when I started getting them routinely recorded as if by magic these claims stopped.  They can of course still ignore things you say but they stopped pretending I said things I didnt.  Also after one of my recorded ESA assessments I had a DM ring me and ask me to verify what they heard on the recording was accurate.  Then they told me there and then they were overruling the assessors recommendation, that call was interesting as supposedly the DM's dont get the recordings.

I didnt get my PIP assessment recorded tho as on PIP it is required for the claimant to provide professional recording equipment, so I didnt bother.

I am not saying tho that assessors make things up out of nowhere, but rather they have a habit of translating something said into something else, so e.g. if they ask do you wash dishes yourself they may translate that into you declaring you can stand up without problems, when the actual question was never asked.
  • cristobal
    edited August 2019
    worried33 said:

I am not saying tho that assessors make things up out of nowhere, but rather they have a habit of translating something said into something else, so e.g. if they ask do you wash dishes yourself they may translate that into you declaring you can stand up without problems, when the actual question was never asked.
    @worried33 - I agree ....

They're obviously trained to avoid asking direct questions for some reason - I assume that this is to try and trip people up who were spinning a yarn and hadn't worked out their story beforehand.

If you want to know if someone can stand up without problems then it's fairly obvious what question you need to ask.

If you ask whether you can wash the dishes this tells you very little, apart from that someone can wash the dishes...whether you bend down to load a dishwasher, stand at the kitchen sink or sit on a chair at the kitchen sink, how long it takes all need further questions.

If I remember correctly doing the dishes isn't one of the descriptors anyway

• worried33
    edited August 2019
    Yeah my example was from ESA which I think does have a standing related descriptor.

An example for PIP might be "so you take out the bin for the refuse collection then?" without specifying how often, and how far you have to walk to do that, and then make assumptions for the specifics from the answer.

They could also possibly spin that answer to the claimant declaring they have no anxiety issue going outside.
  • worried33
    I rang to see if a decision has been made and got told 1 maybe 2 more weeks as current processing times are 4-5 weeks.

Annoying as it means without that audit I probably would have a decision by now.
  • Chloe_Scope
    I understand how hard it can be waiting for these decisions! I really hope it is soon @worried33
    Scope

• worried33
    edited September 2019
    Decision has been made, same as recommendation except an extra year.

Glad this anxiety is over.

Found out on phone, letter not arrived yet but decision was made 30 august.

Also judging by the amount of backdated money I think they accepted my reason for late return of form as it looks like they backdated to january not march.
  • Chloe_Scope
    I'm glad it is now over @worried33, that must be a huge relief! That's great about it being backdated as well!
    Scope

• Saffy
    Saffy Community member Posts: 88 Courageous
    Good job. So pleased it's all over for you and such a positive outcome:D

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.