I would like to go back to study but have issues — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I would like to go back to study but have issues

Options
kami24
kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
edited August 2019 in Education
I have bpd and autism possibly but would like to go back to college in future to do travel or something as i only did a pointless course in the past which had no future career progression opportunities. I have had maximum student finance though years ago so would i be entitled to adult learning grant or anything to pay for the actual course and would you still rwceive any benefit at all if you have no other income??? 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @kami24, it's great that you are wanting to go back into education. I know that benefits and loans can be very complex and it would be hard for me to say what you qualify for.

However, there is a helpline that should be able to give you a lot more information:

Disability Rights UK has a helpline for disabled students. It offers specific advice for disabled students studying in England.  

Opening hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays: 11 am to 1 pm 

Disabled Students Helpline

Email:
    students@disabilityrightsuk.org

Telephone:
    0330 995 0414 

Please do let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. :)
    Scope

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello. See if your local college can help. Alternatively there are adult learning classes available. Also contact Student Finance UK- you can find their number online and explain you have a disability. Don’t hesitate to ask other questions on here as well. What do you want to study? 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @melaniethorley can you help at all?

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • melaniethorley
    melaniethorley Community member Posts: 138 Pioneering
    Options

Good morning @Kami21 and glad to hear you are thinking about resuming your studies, not sure about the finance but there are numerous organisations and charities which provide funding  for disabled students. You might want to look at this website:

https://www.disability-grants.org/higher-education-grants.html

good luck

• kami24
    kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
    Options

Brightness