PIP mobility component not for 65+ - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP mobility component not for 65+

2»

Comments

• rosiejoe
    rosiejoe Community member Posts: 24 Courageous
    I lovecats.     Thank you your reply and definition. Personally I think it is discrimination however I now have to prove there is a cognitive or disability issue causing this.because of age and non attendance of school, labels/help were not in situ back in the 60s. Only a dunces hat. For an assessor to assess that this person can read complex  works without carrying out any tests or asking relevant questions is appalling.  Hopefully Gp will support her with evidence. Thanks 
  • rosiejoe
    Managed an eye test. Nothing else. Cannot read full stop. I believe there is an disability or cognitive reason. This age group from a different time, a sheltered life, protected from society until parent died. Do not think testing will happen now, too stressful. I will appeal. 
  • rosiejoe
    Thanks. I understand the reasoning why. However no assessor has any right to make such a statement that in their opinion a claimant can read complex matter without seeing any prove. Basically called a liar and if that the case surely the claim should be marked as fraudulent. I will now prove cognitive issues. Nothing changes within atos etc even when numerous cases are then upheld. No assessor is answerable. Dwp use a service so it's a subcontractor. It's appalling. The most vulnerable walked over imo.  I take up a few cases for free. These people need a voice. It's no wonder so many give up, end up on the streets and commit suicide. I know there are plenty out there suffering. System loaded against weakest. I know it takes alsorts to do this job, it's better paid than nursing etc hence the staff it attracts. But I believe it all needs overhauling and there needs to be more transparency and accountability. Thanks for the input.
  • kezhendo73
    kezhendo73 Community member Posts: 37 Courageous
    Sorry to but in,
     But wow I never  knew this about the over 65s 

So you could have a man who served say 30 years in the army and fought for his country and he comes out about 50 and does a few different jobs over the years paid his taxes and then retires now he is loving life until he falls badly and damages his leg.
    He is left with next to no mobility so he puts in for pip will he is told he can't claim for mobility.?
    If so it is disgusting, yet there is people who have  never lived in this country but after two years they can claim pip how wrong us this system 
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @rosiejoe - please think very carefully about where you go with this so that you don't get into trouble.

You say that the assessor has called you a liar but also that you friend claimed that she has dyslexia when she hasn't, which could easily be considered fraudulent as you say.

Whatever you think of the assessor they have correctly identified that dyslexia isn't the cause of the problem.

Personally I'd leave it there - but you must do what you think best..

Good luck whatever you decide...

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to but in,
     But wow I never  knew this about the over 65s 

So you could have a man who served say 30 years in the army and fought for his country and he comes out about 50 and does a few different jobs over the years paid his taxes and then retires now he is loving life until he falls badly and damages his leg.
    He is left with next to no mobility so he puts in for pip will he is told he can't claim for mobility.?
    If so it is disgusting, yet there is people who have  never lived in this country but after two years they can claim pip how wrong us this system 
    They wouldn't be able to claim PIP at all if they are over state pension age. At this age it's Attendance Allowance and there's no mobility part to this. DLA was exactly the same. Paying taxes has nothing to do with claiming a disability benefit.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cristobal

@kezhendo73 - I believe that the rules are the same wherever you come from.

So someone who, for example, is a refugee who did thirty years in the army, came out at 50 paid taxes etc etc wouldn't be able to claim PIP either...

• david235
    david235 Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    The rule that your mobility entitlement can only stay the same or go down once you reach state pension age goes right back to the original Mobility Allowance, which became DLA Mobility Component. This means that those who have PIP Mobility Component can renew it after they reach state pension age so long as they continue to meet the criteria.

Whilst it is arguable that this rule is age discrimination, not all discrimination is unlawful. In any event, pensioner benefits are, generally speaking, more generous than working age benefits, though this is only a generalisation.

For those that want a history:

Attendance Allowance came into existence in 1971. In 1975 a Mobility Allowance was created following lobbying from disabled people who did not want an Invacar - many felt the Invacar was divisive, also you could not legally carry a passenger in an Invacar. Initially people had the option of Mobility Allowance or an Invacar, but the option to have an Invacar for the first time was removed in 1981. The few Invacars that remained in the hands of Invalid Vehicle Scheme recipients were all withdrawn in 2003 on safety grounds. The original Mobility Allowance had one rate, equivalent to higher rate mobility DLA.

In 1992 DLA replaced Mobility Alllowance and Attendance Allowance for children and working age people - it rebranded these two benefits into one benefit of two components. DLA added a lower rate care component (middle and higher rate care DLA use the same criteria and are the same amounts as the lower and higher rate of Attendance Allowance). DLA also added a lower rate mobility component.

Pensioners remained on the Attendance Allowance system in 1992. The separate Mobility Allowance disappeared.

In 2013, PIP replaced DLA for working age adults. Children under 16 and existing DLA claimants who had already reached state pension age remain on DLA - all other DLA claimants will eventually move to PIP.
  • rosiejoe
    Christbal. The dyslexia label came out from friend, her way to cover her embarrassment, ( don't think she even knows  what it means)  about her inability to read. possibly due to other undiagnosed impairments. I have no problems calling it out, nothing to hide nothing to fear. I thought the interviewer was quite insensitive to be honest and quite crass imo asking questions about what sort of sanitary products , specifically, saying you wear front loading bras, this was a vulnerable adult of pensionable age. But that complaint ongoing. 
  • rosiejoe
    They haven't identifed that dyslexia isn't the problem. No testing done.  all They haven't proved that she can read either. It's all assumptive on 45 minutes. The whole process is flawed imo and needs overhauling. If I had more time available I would take this right to the top authority etc.  If more people challenged the whole set up, the assessors etc maybe something else will change and not just the "atos"  rebranding  which is what happened after the last bad press. Accountability first. Hopefully some whistle blowers emerge. Lol
  • cristobal
    @rosiejoe - I don't disagree with a lot of what you say - my assessor wasn't very pleasant either...

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.