Dressing and undressing - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dressing and undressing

Options
13»

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

We want the community to be a safe and supportive place. Please make sure your messages respect other users’ views and suggestions, even if you do not agree with them.

Take care to present your views tactfully and remember that humour may be misinterpreted.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    edited August 2019
    Options
    ilovecats said:
    worried33 said:
    sadly they are inconsistent, I told my assessor I only needed to use my grabber occasionally, made it clear was a minority of the time and he gave me the descriptor.

Sometimes the assessor may feel you deserve a certain level of award but you might be 2 points short so they find a way to give the points to you. Some of us are nice!
    yep is what I thought as well and I am grateful he did that.

He probably also appreciated my honesty.
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    edited August 2019
    Options
    riget said:
    So with all your knowledge neither can say why D is worded differently.

Ilovecat said they are applicable to you because they assess mobility "with" aids on descriptors A,B,D,E,F
    Whilst C is only relevant when assessing unaided.

I assume based on her reply that AP's are considering appliances like aids for those descriptors.  

However I see what you are trying to say, that descriptor D is the only one that specifically mentions appliances, the others only mention the word aid.

Ilovecats is an ex assessor and poppy seems to know a lot about how the DWP make decisions, so both are probably right in knowing how the DWP and assessors approach these descriptors.  I dont necessarily agree with them on what I think is law, but I listen to both of them when it comes to learning how the DWP approach these things, especially ilovecats.  Poppy's advice is a big reason I think I got 8 points on my AP report.   As it enabled me to focus on information relevant to the descriptors during my assessment and my form.

Of course DWP guidelines are not always law compliant, but I have absolutely no idea whether the law does include appliances in those descriptors (wording oversight) or if the DWP are getting it wrong.   Not looked at any tribunal cases for this.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,283 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It is unfair for your assessor to give you 0 points for dressing when you require an aid to dress and stand due to your prosthetic leg. It is important to highlight the challenges and time it takes for you to get dressed, including the time it takes to put on your prosthetic leg. It may be reasonable to request 8 points, as getting dressed takes more than twice the time than someone without your disability. It is essential to provide accurate information to ensure a fair decision.

This thread was posted in August 2019 and the member hasn't been active since Oct 2019. Hopefully they've now got their PIP award in place.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.