Have a Go Month: what would you choose? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Have a Go Month: what would you choose?

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
edited October 2019 in Coffee lounge

September is Have a Go Month which encourages people to learn something new!

It is led by the Learning and Work Institute and is part of the Festival of Learning which is the biggest celebration of lifelong learning in England.

Throughout September organisations and online providers are encouraged to run free learning activities for adults. They aren’t producing a list of these activities, but they will be sharing information daily on the Festival of Learning Twitter account.

I have always wanted to learn how to play the piano. This is something that I know the basics of, but I’d love to be able to sit down at a piano and just play! Also, after completing my degree in psychology I am extremely interested in the field and I’m always interested in expanding my knowledge.

What is something you’ve always wanted to learn how to do? Is there an area of knowledge that you’d like to know more about? Let us know in the comments below!

Scope

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    That is so exciting @April2018mom! I really hope you are able to do those things, what would you want to study?

Best of luck with your reading challenge, and you'll have to let us know in the Book Lounge how you get on!
    Scope

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    I met an amazing guy this week whose interview will be going out on Saturday morning between 10am and 12 who is 107 and has 4 Guiness World Records for doing amazing new things on his birthday each year including getting his first tattoo at 104 and riding a rollercoaster at 106!! You'll be able to listen on this link after 12 on Saturday.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I really wish I could learn how to draw. I’m a reasonable graphic designer, but I’d love to be able to illustrate the ideas I have for children’s books. I’ve read so many guides and tried to learn so many times, but have absolutely zero natural talent. :D

Drawing will probably never happen, so instead I’d really like to learn how to whittle!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    That is so exciting @April2018mom! I really hope you are able to do those things, what would you want to study?

Best of luck with your reading challenge, and you'll have to let us know in the Book Lounge how you get on!
    Not very well so I have had to modify my original goal a bit! Will do!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Nothing wrong with that @April2018mom! I hope you enjoy the books. :)
    Scope

• April2018mom
    I think I may also start beadwork! 
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    I bought myself a diamond painting kit weeks ago after speaking to another member on here that does it as a hobby.  I thought I would have a go at it, but haven't opened it yet through getting caught up in other stuff.  But will give it a go this weekend finally and quite looking forward to it.   :)
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    They both sound great @April2018mom and @Ails! You'll have to let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• M_Anthony
    M_Anthony Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 309 Pioneering
    edited September 2019
    I am looking to do a CIPD in Human Resources Practice at the end of this month, so I can get into HR administration. Hopefully I will find a paid position in the charity sector once I am finished.
  • April2018mom
    Also considering training as a teacher!
  • M_Anthony
    M_Anthony Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 309 Pioneering
    cool, what would you teach?
  • April2018mom
    M_Anthony said:
    cool, what would you teach?
    Year One? 
  • April2018mom
    I am considering taking up sewing. Or some other art as a hobby. 
  • April2018mom
    I also learn the piano and do some volunteer work as well. Currently changing positions from flight crew scheduler to classroom assistant at a school. My DBS check has been processed and come through this week. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I have been thinking I really ought to get back to learning German. I have used the online resource 'Duolingo' & really enjoyed it (many other languages available too).

I wanted to do German at school.....but the criteria was that you had to be good at French judged by the exam results in the 2nd year of secondary school. This was way back when; did well in French the first year, but my 2nd year results were abysmal. The good thing was we got this amazing new French teacher.....she brought in Edith Piaf records explaining what the words meant. I have loved Edith Piaf ever since.

I still wanted to learn German; my school friend was learning this, & used to go over the lessons she'd had with me. Once the German teacher reprimanded me for being late for her lesson as she'd heard my friend & I speaking German often & thought I was in her class!

I went on a school holiday to Oberammagau. When we needed to ask local people for help, I was volunteered. My (shy) friend told me the question(s) to ask,  .....then I realized I didn't always understand all of the lengthy answer. I did get us all to the Youth Hostel the 1st night however!

My scant knowledge of German (on a holiday with another friend after finishing school I tried to explain that our bathroom sink was blocked; unfortunately I said that my pelvis was blocked instead), however helped my son with his German aural in 2ndary school when he was struggling with this.

So I resolve to try again with Duolingo. For any older people here, it is said that learning something new is beneficial for 'the little grey cells'.

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
  • Chloe_Scope
    Some really great projects! How is everyone getting on?

Unfortunately, I haven't picked up a psychology book, but I do have it downloaded!
    Scope

• April2018mom
    edited September 2019
    I managed to hurt myself yesterday whilst showing a child how to sew something but I achieved one goal which was to say five/six phrases in a new language this weekend. My new goal is to try crocheting or calligraphy. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    I'm sorry you hurt yourself @April2018mom! That's great about the language though! I used to crochet a lot when I was a university, it's definitely something I'd want to do more of. :)
    Scope

Brightness