Assessment — Scope | Disability forum


kazking123 Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi all?
I’m so worried 
My husband has been on high rate disability and has the car , I am his carer .
we have always got DLA for many many years as we have had the back up letters from several hospitals and surgeons etc.
Since cut backs have seen my husband discharged from the pain clinic after many years , physio after many years etc and we have to have A F2F... we don’t have anymore info than we have already given and NO. back up from the previous medics... all we have is a GP and not even our GP that has dealt with my husband for years as he is off sick indefinitely ... my husband had been sectioned and had crisis teams in the past due to suicide attempts to escape the pain. 
I really can’t see there being a positive outcome now that we have no one to support our claim ?
Thank you for reading ... extremely concerned x


  • wilko
    wilko Member Posts: 2,452 Disability Gamechanger
    @kazking123, Hello and well come. Firstly you state your husband is receiving DLA so I take it you, he has been asked to apply for PIP, if this correct then you must, will understand that a totally different assessment criteria is used to award the PIP benefits than what where used to award DLA. PIP is about your husbands abilities to cope, manage the daily living activities known as the descriptors and his mobility issues. Having a illness, diagnosis or a disability will give the ascessor an guide, indecation of what a person with this condition is capable of ability wise. It is up to you and your husband to give, show supporting evidence, proof as to why your husband cannot or is unable to do the descriptors giving examples of what happens or happened when he tries to or attempts to do each descriptor. The same applies to the mobility part. Have you done a self test to sse how you would do?? Read the PIP descriptors fully and how they relate to your husbands conditions ect. 
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Hello have you kept your letters grom the many years your husbands been going to hospital? It all helps as it's proof.
    Have you been told your going moved from DLA ? You should have had a letter.
    When you get your letter tell us what it says and you will get better help
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,831 Disability Gamechanger

    As your husband has his face to face assessment then i'll assume he's already sent the forms back for the PIP claim.

    Did he request for his DLA file to be used for the PIP claim?

    During the assessment he'll need to verify what he wrote on the forms and give extra information about how his conditions affect his ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

    He'll need to answer the questions on his own words. You maybe able to prompt him but that will depend on the HCP on the day.

    Do be aware that during the assessment he will be watched from the minute he arrives to the minute he leaves.

    About a week after the assessment he can ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to him. This will give him some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.

    His DLA will continue until a decision's been made on the PIP. Good luck.
  • kazking123
    kazking123 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you 
    yes we are being moved from DLA to Pip , we sent years of different letters but they still rang saying they want a F2F , if what we already sent wasn’t enough we have nothing else? 
    Thank you for replies 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,831 Disability Gamechanger
    Most people have a face to face assessment. Claiming DLA for many years doesn't automatically entitle him to PIP, they are different benefits, with different criteria.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.