NHS Prescription ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

NHS Prescription ESA

Silver925
Silver925 Community member Posts: 106 Courageous
Hi I wonder if anyone can help. Yesterday I went to a different pharmacy for my prescription. I filled in ESA part name dob NI number. She asked if I had any proof of benefits I said no as Ive never been ask this before. I went and got my ESA award letter from April which was ok. I asked if I would have to get an up to date letter each month just to get my medication she said no but pharmacist said letters and form are renewed every October. Felt anxious as other chemist just told me to fill in ESA name dob NI number as they do their own checks. Don't know what he meant by renewed end of October. Does anyone else know. Much appreciated.

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,935 Scope online community team
    edited September 2019
    Hi @Silver925, I've moved your post into the ESA section of the community where you'll hopefully get some more help with your query. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,909 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

This isn't correct and you were informed wrong. When claiming a benefit such as Income Related ESA then there's no proof you need to show. You just do as you've always done and write your NI number and name. Checks will be done the other end and if there's any issues you'll receive a fine.

I've been claiming Income Related ESA since 2012/13 and collect my prescriptions every month and never been asked to show anything.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Silver925
    Hi Thanks Poppy I have never been asked either. Just to fill in appropriate information name DOB NI number. Does say on prescription counterfoil if no proof shown they will do there own checks. I think it might have been because he mentioned people had been ticking wrong box he maybe he was being over causious I don't know. Seemed strange. Will go to usual Pharmacy next time. Thanks
  • david235
    david235 Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    I have had a pharmacist ask for a copy of an entitlement letter for Income Related ESA, @poppy123456 , but saying "I haven't got one on me" is normally sufficient. DWP seem to be sending out fewer letters these days and ESA entitlement letters normally have no end date to entitlement anyway.

Prescription exemption claims made in England are checked after the pharmacy submits the prescription for reimbursement by NHSBSA. There was a pilot earlier this year for pharmacists being able to check benefit-related exemptions electronically (click for details) - I expect this system will be rolled out more widely in the future.
  • Silver925
    Yes thanks David235 I usually ask DWP for a proof of benefits letter when attending the Dentist Opticians etc just saying it's IR and a live claim. Thant all you really need.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.