What were your favourite children's books? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What were your favourite children's books?

Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team

“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.” – Lemony Snicket

Today is National Read a Book Day and we want to know what your favourite childhood books are. I’ve always been an avid reader, but since smart phones came on the scene, I don’t get through half as many books as I really should. Maybe I’ve just been reading bad ones! The books that really stick out as favourites are those from my childhood – Charlotte’s Web, The Indian in the Cupboard, The Hobbit and anything by Terry Pratchett.

So what were your favourites books as a kid? What are your favourite literary quotes? What book have you read more times than any other?

Let us know in the comments below!

Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    All Enid Blyton books!
    The Hunger Games!
    Charlotte's Web..

and lots more I have forgotten about! 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    I was obsessed by Flowers in the Attic BY Virginia Andrews when I was a kid, I was probably too young for it but I loved it and I bet I have read it 20 times over the years!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    The Lion the Witch and the wardrobe series. CS Lewis.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I liked the Adventure series by Enid Blyton
    The Swallows & Amazons series by Arthur Ransome
    The choir school books of William Mayne
    The Narnia series by C.S. Lewis
    Chalet School books by Elinor Brent-Dyer
    Biggles books by W.E. Johns
    Jennings books by Anthony Buckeridge
    The fairy books by Andrew Lang (The Blue Fairy Book, The Green Fairy Book, etc)
    & Lois Lamplugh's children's books

• sam12
    sam12 Posts: 1,338 Pioneering
    Pirate books in 1970s Read this book 
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Mrs Pepperpot!
  • Silver925
    Silver925 Community member Posts: 106 Courageous
    Hi I like The Lion, the Witch and the wardrobe and Mrs Pepperpot also. Does anyone remember ladybird books from the 70's I had a huge pile of these loved them especially Cinderella.
  • M_Anthony
    M_Anthony Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 309 Pioneering
    Great question!

I liked Winnie the Pooh which I still have. The Asterix books, I loved the art work! I also liked The Witches, The BFG, James and the Giant Peach. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardobe was great as well, I also remember the BBC series in the 80s. Where's Wally? Was fun as well.

@Sliver925

I had a lot of ladybird books while I grew up in the 80's. I am not sure if they were around the 70's but I really liked the Puddle Lane books they did. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2019
    Hi @M_Anthony, my son, now 33, loved Asterix....& still does! He also still has most of the Roald Dahl books & a full collection of Beatrix Potter & many Rudyard Kipling books in a blue cloth edition. I remember him coming home from primary school & asking why I hadn't mentioned Kipling also wrote poetry; he was quite cross I hadn't told him! He also loved Brian Jacques' 'Redwall' books which he still has.

You remind me of some of the Ladybird travel ones I loved....one was about India, one about Africa, another on Australia; can't remember the others in that series. I also had ones on British Birds, British Wild Flowers & British Wildlife. My daughter also loved Puddle Lane which were from the mid 1980's. Thank you for reminding me about Ladybird books & also @Silver925 .
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    I loved the Ladybird books too when I was wee.  I also really enjoyed books like Black Beauty and Treasure Island.  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    The Little Miss books! I loved them when I was a small child. When I was learning to read, my teacher also my mom started with them. 

Brightness