Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

What were your favourite children's books?

Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,955

Scope community team

“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.” – Lemony Snicket

Today is National Read a Book Day and we want to know what your favourite childhood books are. I’ve always been an avid reader, but since smart phones came on the scene, I don’t get through half as many books as I really should. Maybe I’ve just been reading bad ones! The books that really stick out as favourites are those from my childhood – Charlotte’s Web, The Indian in the Cupboard, The Hobbit and anything by Terry Pratchett.

So what were your favourites books as a kid? What are your favourite literary quotes? What book have you read more times than any other?

Let us know in the comments below!

Senior Community Partner
Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey

Replies

• April2018momApril2018mom Posts: 2,869 Member
    All Enid Blyton books!
    The Hunger Games!
    Charlotte's Web..

and lots more I have forgotten about! 
  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,731 Disability Gamechanger
    I was obsessed by Flowers in the Attic BY Virginia Andrews when I was a kid, I was probably too young for it but I loved it and I bet I have read it 20 times over the years!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • CressidaCressida Member Posts: 785 Pioneering
    The Lion the Witch and the wardrobe series. CS Lewis.
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 8,124 Disability Gamechanger
    I liked the Adventure series by Enid Blyton
    The Swallows & Amazons series by Arthur Ransome
    The choir school books of William Mayne
    The Narnia series by C.S. Lewis
    Chalet School books by Elinor Brent-Dyer
    Biggles books by W.E. Johns
    Jennings books by Anthony Buckeridge
    The fairy books by Andrew Lang (The Blue Fairy Book, The Green Fairy Book, etc)
    & Lois Lamplugh's children's books

• sam12sam12 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Pirate books in 1970s Read this book 
  • pollyanna1052pollyanna1052 Member Posts: 2,009 Disability Gamechanger
    Mrs Pepperpot!
  • Silver925Silver925 Member Posts: 87 Courageous
    Hi I like The Lion, the Witch and the wardrobe and Mrs Pepperpot also. Does anyone remember ladybird books from the 70's I had a huge pile of these loved them especially Cinderella.
  • M_AnthonyM_Anthony Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 309 Pioneering
    Great question!

I liked Winnie the Pooh which I still have. The Asterix books, I loved the art work! I also liked The Witches, The BFG, James and the Giant Peach. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardobe was great as well, I also remember the BBC series in the 80s. Where's Wally? Was fun as well.

@Sliver925

I had a lot of ladybird books while I grew up in the 80's. I am not sure if they were around the 70's but I really liked the Puddle Lane books they did. 
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 8,124 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2019
    Hi @M_Anthony, my son, now 33, loved Asterix....& still does! He also still has most of the Roald Dahl books & a full collection of Beatrix Potter & many Rudyard Kipling books in a blue cloth edition. I remember him coming home from primary school & asking why I hadn't mentioned Kipling also wrote poetry; he was quite cross I hadn't told him! He also loved Brian Jacques' 'Redwall' books which he still has.

You remind me of some of the Ladybird travel ones I loved....one was about India, one about Africa, another on Australia; can't remember the others in that series. I also had ones on British Birds, British Wild Flowers & British Wildlife. My daughter also loved Puddle Lane which were from the mid 1980's. Thank you for reminding me about Ladybird books & also @Silver925 .
  • AilsAils Member Posts: 2,268 Disability Gamechanger
    I loved the Ladybird books too when I was wee.  I also really enjoyed books like Black Beauty and Treasure Island.  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • April2018momApril2018mom Posts: 2,869 Member
    The Little Miss books! I loved them when I was a small child. When I was learning to read, my teacher also my mom started with them. 
Sign in or join us to comment.