UC Weekly Wage and Variable Deductions — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC Weekly Wage and Variable Deductions

Options
mcc0131
mcc0131 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi All,

Just curious and looking for some thoughts on this. At the start of this year we were forced to move from tax credits to UC. And I feel like I have been unfairly hammered as a result of weekly wage and this monthly recurring assesment period.

We have a joint claim and taking our LCW element aside, looking at my take home pay after deductions, it has left us some months with less money than what's realistic.

For example; this months payment is £176 less than last two months, which was the same in June too.

My actual earnings for 4 weeks is £1110, yet this months payment, the summary reports £1395 earnings being reported. Most likely because during this so called 30 day rolling assesment period there has been 5 payslips issued.

Period 06/08/2019 - 05/09/2019. I was paid 5 times, Tue 6th, 13th, 20th, 27th, 3rd.

However, in the real world, my take home hasn't changed, My incomings and outgoings are the same, yet we are given £176 less to cover the same assets. I really can't get my head around this.

Out of 9 payments this year 2019, 5 payments have been like this with earnings reported being higher than real world value. Only 4 payments have been actual in my opinon.

Has anyone else encountered this and got any advice to counteract it? other than changing to monthly wage, which is not possible unfortunately.

Thanks for listening.
Mel

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,041 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Unfortunately, because of the assessment period any earnings received during this will reduce your payments. Those the receive their pay weekly are the worst affected because it will work out that 5 times a year you'll either receive less UC or as some have experienced even a zero award.

The months were you receive less wages, you'll receive more UC.

I'm afraid for as long as you continue to receive your wages weekly then you'll always have this issue. Those that receive their money 4 weekly are also affected, just not to the extent of those that receive it weekly.

Other than ask to receive your wages monthly, then i'm afraid there's nothing you can do.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mcc0131
    mcc0131 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Thanks.

I found this which has nice visuals.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-different-earning-patterns-and-your-payments/universal-credit-different-earning-patterns-and-your-payments-payment-cycles

Nevertheless, employer said no to my request because it would apparently be too much work for them somehow.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,041 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You're welcome. I'm sorry i couldn't help any further. This is one of the many down falls of UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.