Nerve pain in the arm's,neck, leg — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Nerve pain in the arm's,neck, leg

Options
paineveryday
paineveryday Community member Posts: 9 Listener
edited October 2019 in Cerebral palsy
hi,
i am new to scope
i was wondering if anyone on this site would have some advice on dealing with spinal stenosis and nerve pain from damaged nerves in the arm's and neck. I would welcome any advice members of scope might have. 
Thank you???

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @paineveryday & welcome to this very supportive group. I'm sorry to read about the pain you are going through, & hope any fellow sufferers may tell you of their experience which can be so helpful to share.

I don't know if you're on any medication for this, which would be best discussed with your GP to see if there are any/other options which may help. Your GP might also recommend physiotherapy.

I hope others may soon reply.

• paineveryday
    paineveryday Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    Hi,Chairiads, thank you for taking the time to post this message.??
    I am on pain medication. Two different painkillers, lydacaine plasters. It's eight years since this started. For a long time before that I had problems with my neck. That started in 1997 with stiffness and pain.
     I worked for 11yrs as a dinner lady in a girl's primary school,I loved the job the wee one's are great. I had to give my job up as the pain was getting worse.
    soi got a job as a receptionist (2 1/2 days a week)in a  busy large salon and training school.
    that was my dream job as when I was a teenager I wanted to be a hairdresser.  Worked there from Augest 2007 until the 1st of September 2011,that was the day my first disc went. I couldn't get out of bed by myself, it was a horrendous day. 
    That was the start of hospitals,M.R.I and operations. It took away my independence for a long time. Just starting to come back to myself(thank God) as for phyiso the phyisoterapist refused to touch me. Had one session I was crying from the of it the physio said no more.  
    I just tell myself THere are a lot of people a lot worse off than I am. (I see them at the clinic when seeing my Consultant. OF Whom I can't speak highly eneough)keep  moving that's my motto. I Always try to keep a smile on my face and that helps on really bad day's??
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Hi @paineveryday Thank you for saying more about yourself & how your cervical stenosis has affected you.

As a physio (who only worked for a few years in the late 1970's), I'm in agreement with the one you saw; if pain is increased, it's a vicious circle, leading to more pain. Just wondering how long ago that was, & if you might consider it again. Perhaps you could try hydrotherapy, if available. At least you're saying, 'keep moving that's my motto,' which is exactly the right attitude & you seem so very positive!

Delighted to read you have a good Consultant; worth their weight in gold! Might he/she help refer you to a pain clinic?

As you say, there are a lot of people worse off than you, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have help to keep your pain under control.

I suffer neurological pain as soon as I'm upright every day, so understand a little of where you're coming from. Exercise has helped me maintain my limited mobility & I also use relaxation techniques; sorry that's the physio in me coming out; distraction (reading, pottering in the garden, listening to music, watching films, etc) is probably the next best for me.....then mindfulness & visualisations.  I have also explored other possibilities such as acupuncture & Reiki, but find those I can do at home on my own the best.

We are all different, & there are so many forms of help/distraction, but you may be aware of all this. I'm mentioning 'just in case.'

Please look around the Scope forum..... there are many discussions about the chronic pain members share for a great variety of reasons, & good advice given by those that know more than I.

Brightness