Nerve pain in the arm's,neck, leg — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Nerve pain in the arm's,neck, leg

Options
paineveryday
paineveryday Community member Posts: 9 Listener
edited October 2019 in Cerebral palsy
hi,
i am new to scope
i was wondering if anyone on this site would have some advice on dealing with spinal stenosis and nerve pain from damaged nerves in the arm's and neck. I would welcome any advice members of scope might have. 
Thank you???

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @paineveryday & welcome to this very supportive group. I'm sorry to read about the pain you are going through, & hope any fellow sufferers may tell you of their experience which can be so helpful to share.

I don't know if you're on any medication for this, which would be best discussed with your GP to see if there are any/other options which may help. Your GP might also recommend physiotherapy.

I hope others may soon reply.

• paineveryday
    paineveryday Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    Hi,Chairiads, thank you for taking the time to post this message.??
    I am on pain medication. Two different painkillers, lydacaine plasters. It's eight years since this started. For a long time before that I had problems with my neck. That started in 1997 with stiffness and pain.
     I worked for 11yrs as a dinner lady in a girl's primary school,I loved the job the wee one's are great. I had to give my job up as the pain was getting worse.
    soi got a job as a receptionist (2 1/2 days a week)in a  busy large salon and training school.
    that was my dream job as when I was a teenager I wanted to be a hairdresser.  Worked there from Augest 2007 until the 1st of September 2011,that was the day my first disc went. I couldn't get out of bed by myself, it was a horrendous day. 
    That was the start of hospitals,M.R.I and operations. It took away my independence for a long time. Just starting to come back to myself(thank God) as for phyiso the phyisoterapist refused to touch me. Had one session I was crying from the of it the physio said no more.  
    I just tell myself THere are a lot of people a lot worse off than I am. (I see them at the clinic when seeing my Consultant. OF Whom I can't speak highly eneough)keep  moving that's my motto. I Always try to keep a smile on my face and that helps on really bad day's??
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Hi @paineveryday Thank you for saying more about yourself & how your cervical stenosis has affected you.

As a physio (who only worked for a few years in the late 1970's), I'm in agreement with the one you saw; if pain is increased, it's a vicious circle, leading to more pain. Just wondering how long ago that was, & if you might consider it again. Perhaps you could try hydrotherapy, if available. At least you're saying, 'keep moving that's my motto,' which is exactly the right attitude & you seem so very positive!

Delighted to read you have a good Consultant; worth their weight in gold! Might he/she help refer you to a pain clinic?

As you say, there are a lot of people worse off than you, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have help to keep your pain under control.

I suffer neurological pain as soon as I'm upright every day, so understand a little of where you're coming from. Exercise has helped me maintain my limited mobility & I also use relaxation techniques; sorry that's the physio in me coming out; distraction (reading, pottering in the garden, listening to music, watching films, etc) is probably the next best for me.....then mindfulness & visualisations.  I have also explored other possibilities such as acupuncture & Reiki, but find those I can do at home on my own the best.

We are all different, & there are so many forms of help/distraction, but you may be aware of all this. I'm mentioning 'just in case.'

Please look around the Scope forum..... there are many discussions about the chronic pain members share for a great variety of reasons, & good advice given by those that know more than I.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.