Home owner — Scope | Disability forum

Home owner

jackieuk50 Member Posts: 6 Listener

I am a disabled lady I own my own home. There are loads of things that need doing but as a home owner I'm expected to do stuff my self.
We are desperate for our garden to be done make it a bit easier for me and my chair.
Also a few years back my conservatory door fell off and because I messed up the home insurance we never got it fixed.
Any ideas please 
Thanks Jackie 


  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,868 Connected
    Hello @jackieuk50

    Have you contacted your local council? They can help by doing a needs assessment with you to determine what services you need. If you need help to access your garden, tell them. Say why you need help and what you need help with as well. Be honest. Ask about financial help. It is possible you may only require adaptive equipment instead of carers. Describe things you cannot do. Remember this is your golden opportunity to speak up. 


    You might be able to use a disabled facility grant in order to cover the costs of garden adaptations. A social worker will visit your home to do a needs assessment with you. Ring the council adult social services team tomorrow to ask politely for a assessment. It will primarily consist of questions and note taking. Someone from the council will come over. Give as much information as possible. Assessments usually take 1-2 hours. After that, wait for the official report to come detailing the findings. You may also be asked to do a means test first. 

    To find your local council 

  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,674 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jackieuk50
    We have lots of information about Disabled Facilities Grants here.

    What kind of help can a DFG provide

    Such help may be:

    • a grant
    • a loan
    • materials
    • labour
    • advice
    • or any mix of the above.

    Local authorities may also provide additional adaptations. For example:

    • Welfare: Access to a garden or safe play area for a disabled child.
    • Accommodation: Making a property bigger even if it is already suitable for a disabled person.
    • Employment: Adapting a room for a disabled person to work from home.

    What adaptations a DFG will fund

    A DFG aims to ensure the disabled person has adequate facilities and access around the home.

    Examples include:

    • providing ramps, widening doors, shallow steps
    • improving controls for heating and lighting
    • adapting or providing suitable washing, bathing or toilet facilities
    • ensuring the disabled person can move around and access parts of the home so they can look after someone else
    • facilitating the preparation of food and cooking in the kitchen
    • making sure there is access to a shared family room
    • ensuring access to, or providing, a room to sleep in
    • providing a safer environment for the disabled person and others living in the home
    • installing a stair lift or a ‘through the floor’ lift
    • creating an extension to meet the needs of the disabled person

    The DFG means test

    The means test determines how much, if anything, you will have to pay towards the cost of the work. If you are a disabled adult, you must provide financial and benefits information for you and your partner. There is no means testing for families of disabled children under 18.

    • Certain benefits including Disability Living Allowance and Income Support are generally ignored.
    • Savings over £6,000 will be taken into account.
    • Depending on the assessment, the amount of financial assistance offered can vary up to 100% of the cost.

    Plans and specifications

    For major work, it’s advisable to involve a qualified architect or surveyor. Their fees can be included in the cost of the work needed.

    • You will need at least 2 estimates.
    • You must submit your grant application with all relevant documents.
    • The local authority must give a decision within 6 months and tell you what your financial contribution, if any, will be.

    Apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant (GOV.UK)

    Senior online community officer