PIP f2f at home - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP f2f at home

124»

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,926 Disability Gamechanger
    Saffy said:
    Not one of my favourite links but here you go. http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

Oh, why what's wrong with it. Is there a better one?
    The reason is because if you don't fully understand the PIP descriptors then it's very easy to over score yourself. So many people think they should score x amount of points for an activity but it's not always possible to score those points.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Saffy
    Saffy Community member Posts: 88 Courageous
    @poppy123456
    Thanks for the 2nd link, I think it will be far better to use this when I get my assessment report copy.
    I agree that it's easy to over rate yourself on the descriptors, mainly through not understanding them properly, so I'm very grateful for your help. 
  • poppy123456
    To add up any recommended points, it's easier to use the PIP self test but to have more of an understanding of the descriptors then read that link.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Saffy
    Update. After my f2f at home Aug 30th I had a text Sept 3rd to say the assessors report had been received. I phoned to request a copy and was told it could take 2 weeks 
    I've been waiting patiently since then, and yesterday, Sept 19th I had a letter dated Sept 13th  to say they now have everything they need to make a decision and I don't need to do anything.
    So.....Does that give any indication of how long it will be before I hear of the decision. And also, is there any point in chasing up the assessment copy now. It seems a bit pointless if a decision is imminent?
    Thanks, Saffy.
  • poppy123456
    The letter is just a standard letter they send everyone and doesn't really mean anything. A decision can still take 8 weeks after this letter.

It's definitely still worth ringing again to request the report, while you're on the phone you can ask if a decision's been made.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Saffy, I hope you are able to get this clarified soon. :)
    Scope

• Saffy
    Hi @Saffy, I hope you are able to get this clarified soon. :)
    I'm going to call them on Monday. Thank you.
  • Saffy
    The letter is just a standard letter they send everyone and doesn't really mean anything. A decision can still take 8 weeks after this letter.

It's definitely still worth ringing again to request the report, while you're on the phone you can ask if a decision's been made.
    I'll ring after the weekend. Maybe I'll get the copy in my post tomorrow 
  • Saffy
    I've just received a copy of my f2f home assessment for PIP. They had to send me a 2nd copy as I didn't receive the first.
    It's full of holes you could drive a bus through but it's his word against mine so no point fighting.
    He said I told him I was having a bad day. Lie. I deliberately said it was a good day so would know I was feeling ok and not at my worst.

He says I have no restrictions on my licence so have adequate cognitive ability. No mention of the fact I haven't driven for over 20 years and couldn't if I tried now. He didn't even ask me if I could drive!

He says my glasses are effective when I'd just told him I'd just had cataract surgery and my vision was very poor and was awaiting an appointment with optometrist.

Says I wasn't wearing my hearing aids although I told him I can't as they make me nauseous as they irritate my vegas nerve.

Did not appear tired. Huh! I told him I was really tired and usually had a sleep at that time, 1pm.

He said I could get in and out of the bath with assistance. Actually, I don't have a bath, only walk in shower.

The thing that annoyed me most was him stating I walked to the toilet and back with a stick and can walk around the house! It's a tiny bedsit with bathroom only 5 steps away. He did not ask me to walk anywhere so has no idea how far I can walk, yet says I can go more than 20 metres.

On his report he's given me 11 points for daily living and 10 points for mobility. Both just 1 pt short of the enhanced rate. 
    I'll have to wait for the decision letter, but provided I'm awarded standard rate for both components, is it worth me going for MR?  Oh, and he recommended review in 2 years.
    What do you think?
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    edited October 2019
    When you go for MR/appeal it should be on the basis you know you fit the missing descriptors not just because its an option, if you didnt get descriptors you believe you should have and are prepared to risk a worse decision been made then by all means go for it, making sure to explain why those descriptors apply to you.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @Saffy, I am sorry the report it so inaccurate! Are there any descriptors that you feel you should have got and didn't because of the inaccurate information on the form?

This could give you grounds to appeal. However, this is completely your decision. If you feel happy with the result and don't want to go through the appeal process then it is completely okay to leave it.

If you do decide to appeal then please do let us know if there is anything we can do to help. :)

Congratulations on getting standard rate. 
    Scope

• Saffy
    Hi @Chloe_Scope, thanks for replying.
    I think the main reason I'm so upset is because he put me down on the Moving Around part for descriptor d when I feel I should have got e. meaning I would have got enough points for the enhanced rate of mobility. 
    As you know, in descriptor d. it says I can stand and move more than 20 metres using an aid but no more than 50 metres. This is so untrue and he had no way of knowing how far I can move!
    I walked with my stick the 7 steps it takes from my chair to use the bathroom, then returned. He did NOT ask me to walk anywhere else. I was expecting him to see how far I could walk along the communal corridor (I live in sheltered accomodation) but didn't ask. Given this was his only observation of me walking, how could he reach that decision? My son let him in so I didn't answer the door to him and he let himself out 
    He says "she does not report any difficulties/need for stopping within her house and very short distances "etc.  This is a tiny bedsit and nowhere within it takes more than 8 steps. It's not anywhere near the size of even a small house!!! How can he just make a guess when so much depends on it??  There's no way I could walk 20 metres.
    The other main point that I'm angry about is his repeated statement throughout the report, "she reports that today is a bad day in terms of good and bad days". Rubbish! When he asked me how I was feeling that day I said, "I'm not feeling too bad today actually" and smiled at him. I wanted him to understand today was better than usual.
    Ok, it may have been a genuine case of him not hearing me properly, but as the report continually refers to it being a bad day for me it totally misrepresents how my disability affects me. I told him I don't have good days as I'm always in pain (which he mentioned in the report), but that some days are better than others (which he didn't mention in his report).
    I don't know whether explaining all this on the MR form would make any difference.
    I'm pleased it looks like I may get the standard awards, especially as I know some people get nothing, but I'm angry about the errors he's made that will affect me.
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2019
    Pointing out the errors in the report will not help your PIP claim because DWP and the Tribunal will not be interested in any of those. They will only be interested in where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why.

Any complaints about the report should be sent to the health assessment providers. Details how to do that will be on their website.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @Saffy, I can completely see why you would be frustrated and angry about this. It cannot be easy to read the report and see that things are not accurate. 

If you do decide to take it to appeal it is about showing 2-3 real life examples about how you do meet the criteria. An example of this could be only walking in your house (with this being a distance less than 20 metres) and how it affects you to do this.

Here is further information, which also includes the form you would have to fill in if you wanted to make an appeal.

Please do let us know if you do decide to do this and I am sure other members will be able to offer their advice and support. :)
    Scope

• Saffy
    Well I've had my PIP award letter and I've been given standard rate for both daily living and mobility. 
    I'm not going to fight it, I just haven't got the energy, especially as an appeal could up to a year.
    At least I've been given something so I'm glad of that.
    I'm just concerned about whether there will be a period of me being without money between DLA ending and PIP starting, the wording on the letter is confusing me.
    It says DLA ends Nov 19th. My next DLA payment is due Nov 13th, so will I lose 6 days DLA?
    PIP starts Nov 20th and they'll make a payment on Dec 12th for money I'm owed from Nov 20th - 11th Dec (22 days of pip).
    They then say they'll make a PIP payment every 4 weeks in arrears. 
    Does this mean I won't get any money for 4 weeks?
    Sorry if the answer is obvious, but my brain is fogged up and I can't think straight.
  • poppy123456
    Great news. You'll receive what your owed for your DLA on 13th November because DLA is paid 3 weeks in arrears and 1 week in advance and you'll be paid up to 19th November.

Then you'll receive your first PIP payment on 12 December which will be for 3 weeks money from Nov 20th - 11th December. Your next payment for PIP after that will be 9th January and will be for the full 4 weeks money. PIP is paid every 4 weeks, like DLA was so yes you're correct you won't receive any PIP for 4 weeks, which is the same for everyone. PIP is paid 4 weeks in arrears.
  • Saffy
    Thanks @poppy123456 ,so are you saying I'll get my full 28 days DLA due 13th Nov(last payment was 16th October) plus 6 days up to 19th Nov when my DLA ends? Then I'll get 3 weeks PIP on 12th Dec, and that will have to last until 9th Jan, and from then I'll get paid every 28 days.
    If that's the case then I have understood correctly.
    I always hate it when adjustments are made around holiday times. I usually have some problem with a delay most years when the benefit increases start at the beginning of April. Just a hiccup usually but still frustrating.
    Thanks for all your help, I'd have been lost without it while all this new claim has been happening.
    I hope I've done the right thing in not challenging the decision, a lot of what the assessor wrote was misleading. I think if I'd got the energy for it I might have done so but I'm totally worn out and just don't feel I could go through any more.
    At least I got my claim approved, so should be thankful for that.
    I still think it's suspicious the way I got just one point less than I needed for the higher rates. I wonder if that's common practice! I expect most people settle for that rather than risk losing money at appeal. 
    Thanks so much Poppy.
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. Yes, that's when you'll receive payments for DLA and PIP. PIP is paid every 4 weeks. It will tell you on the award letter what day of the week to expect your payment. Everyone's payment day is different. I get mine on  Wednesday and my daughter has hers on a Tuesday.

Only you can really decide whether or not to request the MR.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.